1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teach the girls as young as possible

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The 'But I Do' side indicates where to insert the keys in the ignition. The garment with that on the backside connotates the desire for flanking from the rear....

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Hell if I know. I don't wear 'soccer mom' jeans but anything that comes close to exposing the cooter -- whether it's ultra low rises or micro minis -- are just a Stacy and Clinton faux pas in my world!

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If the girl is wearing those, I'm wondering a little bit about whether or not the message got through. Obviously, the most important thing is to instill the right values. But that doesn't mean we can stop watching over our children and looking for signs that perhaps a lesson needs to be reinforced.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I wonder if it is possible that these undergarments were placed in the wrong section. Maybe the manufacturer didn't intend for them to be in the junior's section and Wal-Mart flubbed.

Given the idea that they were intended for the junior's section, I can't say that I would ever purchase a pair for the daughter I do not have. I wouldn't go out and demand that the store pull them from the shelves. There seems to be a real disconnect with people these days.

Dooley touched on it with his post about teaching his kid values instead of worrying about what is on a child's underwear. The reality is that quite a few parents seemed to have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get the store to remove a product when they could have actually spent that time teaching their child.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If seeing that pair of underwear caused you to question her, you'd have reason to question her even if she were wearing white cotton with lollipops (and I don't even wanna get into the tawdriness of those--shiver.)

If anything, I'd question her about materialism, not promiscuity.

6. KG

KG Active Member

I must be pretty naive, because if I'd seen them in the store myself, I never would have thought of this in-depth, sexist plot behind the message. After reading everything here, I can see how some might take it that way, but I have to agree with dooley on this one.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Given the context which Kirk provided, I'm going to have to call this one.

Sorry, dools.

8. dooley_womack1

I dunno how perhaps the filthiest band ever jibes with credit cards and Santa. But whatevah. I like the thread better when it's trying to become a Knack-jack.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Dools, I'm torn on this one...

I think the undies (really, the message) are a bit out of line, but I definitely agree parents should be spending time with the kids trying to establish values and morals, not lobbying some chain to remove the undies from the shelf.

"Won't someone think of the children?"

10. dooley_womack1

The message is the question, Alley. The fabric and design are conservative.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go fighting for them to be pulled from the shelves, either. I just wouldn't let my kid wear them and I would make sure she understood why not.

And dooley, I think the discussion would have to be about both and about respecting herself.

I liken it to a story my brother told me about my niece, who was 16 at the time. He drove by and saw her riding her bicycle wearing EXTREMELY short shorts. He pulled over, told her to get in, tossed the bike in the back of his truck and they had a nice, long talk reinforcing things.

He and I both know that she's a good kid and she's been raised with good values. But she is a kid and sometimes kids need a reminder or two. No matter how well we teach our children, sometimes they still need a little guidance.

12. dooley_womack1

True, but not over a pair of underwear that has a saying the raciness (if any) of which is debatable. Have discussions over grades, dating, responsibility--ya know, stuff that really matters. Man, pick your battles, and certainly don't pick one where there may not be a battlefield at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted