1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teach the girls as young as possible

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

How old are your girls, Dooley?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

OK, Feministing 101:

Santa = sugar daddy, in this metaphor. "Who needs credit cards/When I've got Santa" on a pair of panties implies that what's inside those panties can get you whatever you want -- and Santa the sugar daddy will pay for it all. The idea is that a girl only needs "Santa" to get what she wants, and she can "get Santa" with sex, hence the location of the expression, and that's why it's a problem that a girl shopping in the juniors department at Wal-Mart would be wearing those panties.

It's very sexual. It's very suggestive. And it's very offensive. Simple as that.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Agree to disagree. You really gotta be taking a lotta leaps to read all that into it. And it's the holiday season, and the word Santa is on a pair of clothing. There just can't possibly be an innocousness about the whole thing...could there?

And Wal-Mart pulling them off the shelves doesn't bolster your case; they cower whenever someone more blue-haired than it is raises a fuss.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Again, agree to disagree. Peace out.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I am often completely peturbed by the way young women and girls will go out with slogans like this on their pants. To see that it's transferred onto underwear now is not exactly shocking to me, but I can't say I like it.

I sure as heck wouldn't want to see it in my future daughter's laundry.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Anyone who thinks "only the wearer will see" those panties is sadly mistaken and maybe even a bit naive. Those are getting shown, whether it's at their first "spin the bottle" type party or in the locker room or even just the hallways. The wearer is going to be showing the "cute" saying on them and giving someone an eyeful.

I don't even have kids and I know I wouldn't let me daughter anywhere near those. And as others have noted, when you just look at the front, it's certainly suggestive. It's almost as if they added "When you have Santa" on the back as an afterthought to convince people, "Oh no! Those aren't suggestive! What kind of weirdo are YOU?"

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Buck-Dub is bang on. The sexual innuendo is blatant, not a leap.
    But sexual or not, it's a bad message that girls can get men to buy them whatever they want.

Bigpern is right, too. If y'all think some preteen girls aren't out there dropping their drawers, you're nuts.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Damn ... where were the girls like that when I was in school?
    Maybe there were and I was too much of a dweeb to get invited to those "shows."

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

A sure-fire seller would be panties for teenagers, with an arrow pointing upward from the crotch with the tagline, "I'm with stupid."

10. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

Trademark it while you can.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If the barn door is open, people are definitely going to be reading their drawers.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Damn, and I was heading to Bentonville to pitch a series of undergarments based on song titles by the Knack.

Draft saved Draft deleted