1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teach for America

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RossLT, Aug 19, 2008.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I have a hard time seeing the importance of the GPA in the screening process. Also it seemed like there were a lot of people who gave testimonials who were from private (expensive) colleges. And not to sound like an asshole, but, where is the logic in having some trust-fund babies teaching inner city kids?

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Just watch all of the White Shadow reruns and it'll be a cinch. I'm pretty sure the key is to keep a close eye on Coolidge and keep Thorpe from brooding too much.

3. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

I know it's a big commitment and the hiring process is long and tough, but a high percentage of my friends from J-school who applied were offered a job. Few of them took it, landing various jobs in journalism.

Basically you're teaching kids at some of the worst, most under-privileged schools in the country, and you get to make a top three list of cities you'd like to teach. My friend was headed to NYC and he visited the school at which he was going to teach, and it was a very nice private school. ???

4. I went to a state university in a major city where the public school system sucks. I don't really understand the logic of the high GPA thing either. My thinking is, if I've got a 3.95 GPA, why the heck do I want to go into an inner city school when there are so many other things I could be doing. I get the service thing and like I said, TFA really is a good program. But I definitely felt slighted by not even getting an interview. Their thinking is they want the best and the brightest teaching these kids that have been at a disadvantage for so long ... not your average, 3.0 student, I guess.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I had a hard time deciding whether to apply and whether I would accept if it got that far because of the 2-year commitment and the nature of the job. In my case, it wasn't meant to be.

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I finished the application and sent it off but, if all the stuff I have read here is true, there is no way in hell they are going to contact me.

6. part-timer

part-timer Member

And keep Jackson away from liquor stores...

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Not everyone who went or goes to an expensive, private college is a trust fund baby. I know it's not the point of this thread, but it really gets on my nerves when people say stuff like that.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Yeah that was a generalization, my brother went to Georgetown (for grad school, Washington State for UG) and we are far from trust fund kids.

Draft saved Draft deleted