1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teach for America

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RossLT, Aug 19, 2008.

1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

If you have nerves of steel, can be a drill sargeant when need be and can make unmotivated kids do what you want and can live with loads of frustration (believe me -- if you lose one kid, you'll be losing sleep), go for it. You've also got to have the stomach to handle a lot of kids' horror stories -- which, if you have it, is the reason alone to do it.

Inner-city schools are tough environments to teach in for a reason. The ones who really have the heart to do it and work with kids who have a lot of problems are great. But there's a reason inner-city schools have teacher shortages -- the kids that are left are often the most difficult to work with (because the parents who could afford to get out to the suburbans or private schools or charters did). I've heard several inner-city teachers tell me that general ed classes (or remedial classes) are largely glorified babysitting -- "do this, do that," and more time and energy are spent on classroom management than actual instruction.

I deal with that with my remedial classes at a four-star suburban school. Dealing with low-level kids can fry your nerves because you spend so much time playing traffic cop and very little time actually teaching. I love teaching my subject, and when kids aren't interested, it's difficult. I have a feeling I'd be dealing with that often in an inner-city school.

If you can do it, go for it.

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I have a cousin and close family friend who (I think) wanted to be teachers and did TFA. One did it in NYC the other in LA. Both are now in NYC teaching at public schools.

It seems like a worthy cause and program, especially because you want to teach.

As 'beetus said, get in contact with a rep and they could get you in contact with some people to talk to.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i have a few friends who did it when we graduated college in the mid-90s.

first, understand that it's hugely competitive to get in. i read an article recently (in newsweek? i'm not sure) that said your odds of getting in are about the same as getting into harvard. you'd better have an impressive resume - impressive meaning tons of volunteer stuff, not impressive as in, you were sports writing f'ing stud by age 25.

second, it's not only for the inner cities. i had a friend who was placed in bumblefuck, deep south. poor, decaying rural areas have almost the same problems as the inner-cities, with a few choice differences.

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I have no shot of getting in. I have never volunteered and have no scholarships, service stuff or any of that shit. But I applied anyway.

5. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

My cousin's in the program, teaching in Newark. Her experience seems to be incredibly rewarding. I'm happy to put you in touch with her if you'd like.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

A guy I know is doing it, and he loves it.

I'll put you in touch if you want.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

That's cool. I am not going to get in because of my reasons stated above, but it would be cool to talk to some people.

8. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Check your PM.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Thank you, I will always think twice before I bite the head off a gingerbread man from now on.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I have a friend from Oregon who's doing hers in the Delta. She got the culture shock, but said she's having a blast.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Only do this if you want to teach in the ghetto.

12. I can vouch for everything Leo says. I was good friends with the TFA campus coordinator at my school this past spring. I helped her put up fliers around campus etc. She had the insider info on how to get past their screening process and she told me I was one of their top-rated candidates. I didn't even get a phone interview. So the Harvard comparison is about right. The girl I knew said something like 80 or 85 percent of candidates are turned down. And the overall GPA they're looking for is very high 3s. My friend knew another person who had a 3.6 GPA who was turned down by TFA.

That said, I saw the TFA videos and the fact that a huge percentage of kids in poor areas don't graduate and those that do graduate with an 8th grade education is sad. They deserve better. It's definitely a great program, a great way to contribute to the betterment of society and for a lot of the TFA grads, it's definitely a resume padder for getting into law school etc. after two years. Nothing wrong with that, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted