1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teach for America

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RossLT, Aug 19, 2008.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Anyone know anything about Teach for America? I was thinking of applying.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I've thought about it Ross, but I'm not sure. Teaching for two years in an urban area (especially where I live) would be a difficult committment.

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I went to the website and did a little research. I like the idea of being able to do my MA while making a difference.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I know it's extremely difficult, but my friends who made it through said it was the most rewarding thing they could have done. Weigh the pros and cons and talk to as many people who have completed the program as possible.

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

That's the problem, I don't know anyone who has done it.

6. The NYT Sunday Mag had some stuff about it in the New Orleans article this week.

I'm always really judgmental of TforA kids, though, because it seems like it's just an opportunity for a lot of them to stick something seemingly philanthropic on their law school resume. Not that there aren't plenty of kids who do it for the right reasons, even those headed to law school as they see it as an opportunity to really dig into the society they plan to eventually help.

But some just want the line on their resume.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I actually want teaching to be my new career. I lost my gig as a writer not long ago and teaching will be a good choice for me.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I thought this was about that puppet movie the 'South Park' guys made.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Do it for the kids.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I know where you live (roughly). There's no urban area there!!! :D

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

If you talk to one of their reps, they'll gladly put you in contact with people doing it or who have done it.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Ha! :D Well, I was thinking of the problems of the Hartford schools.

Draft saved Draft deleted