1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tea Party turning on Bachmann?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

She was just on Amanpour. Not that I was planning to vote for her, but I don't know how anyone who saw an interview like that could ever vote for her. Amanpour called her out on half a dozen speaking gaffs, and it quickly became apparent Bachman was not going to admit to any of them and instead take GIANT leaps of logic to explain how she was right the whole time.

God I hate that aspect of politics. I'll vote for the first person to utter the phrase "I was wrong."

I'd also like someone to flat out pin her down on how small scale intervention in Libya was wrong, but saber rattling and potentially invading Iran is right. She constantly backs those lines up one after another, and I'll never understand how.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sure, but my quote pulls were from a very specific time period, this past summer when she was surging in the polls. I think they represent the general tenor of coverage of her during that time period. I think there were two turning points: (1) Ryan Lizza's New Yorker piece that reminded the public of her, to be gentle, idiosyncracies; (2) The HPV-causes-retardation comment.

3. Dick Whitman

What were some examples?

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Matt T. laid her out, very neatly, as well.

5. Dick Whitman

It seems to me that Bachmann was performing a high-wire act that she could not sustain, long-term. She was presenting herself as a "polished," mature, grounded candidate. At the same time, she had a long history of out-of-the-mainstream positions and indefensible comments. She had an extremist base to maintain that demanded extreme positions. And she, by nature, has a tendency to go off the deep end from time to time.

Her candidacy, like I said, was just unsustainable as presented. Too many contradictory forces. She was bound to unravel. I think most of us recognized that, though.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He was great in Taps.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

What's unfortunate is that it appears she will flame out early enough to run for re-election to the House.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They love her in that district

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Video clip of Bachmann speaking: "59,000 came across the border from Yeman, Syria, these are nations that are state sponsors of terror, and they're coming into our country."

Amanpour: "59,000 represents the total number of illegal aliens arrested from countries other than Mexico. Only 11 were from Yeman and five from Syria. How could you have been so wrong?"

Bachmann: "In the full context of my remarks I did not say the full 59,000 came from Yeman and Syria. I said it included among them. Obama's not protecting our borders if even one comes across. You're reporting inaccurately"

Amanpour: "Well, it's in your statement, but now I understand what you meant. Yeman's not recognized by the State Dept. as a state sponsor of terror."

Bachmann: "Of course it's not. I never said it was."

-------

Bachmann: "Iran has stated it would use a nuke to destroy Israel and it would attack the United States with a nuke."

Amanpour: "Iran doesn't acknowledge having nukes, so they haven't threatened to use them."

--------

Amanpour: "You said Perry is taking your tax ideas. He's talking about a flat tax and you're not. How is he borrowing from you?"

Bachmann: "I have a unique tax plan. Bla bla bla bla."

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I saw that interview, and Bachmann came across as having no conscious she's either totally ignorant or a sociopathic liar. Either way, she's emblematic of the Tea Party.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Her "facts" are unique to her. Makes it tough to interact with her. It's like trying to nail jello to a wall.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Bachmann's new campaign advisor.

Draft saved Draft deleted