1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tea Party Patriot Curt Schilling works to save taxpayers' hard-earned dollars

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, May 16, 2012.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Which one is Curt?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

At least Schilling is getting his smaller government wish out of this:

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20120524second_rhode_island_official_resigns_amid_curt_schilling_mess/

3. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

And now it's being reported that they laid off the entire staff.
    Thankfully the Commonwealth of Massachusetts had the sense to tell Curt to go screw when he came looking for a handout. Sadly the Ocean Staters were a bit star struck.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Good god, they incorporated in Delaware, but wanted Rhode Island freebies? That is a bloody mess.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

"There can be no question our country is in the worst economic crisis of our lifetimes. I also think there can be no question that it falls on us, the individuals, to find a way out of our own personal crisis." -- Curt Schilling, February 2011

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Rhode Island legislature would've made a more prudent investment decision if it'd taken the $75 million and driven across the border to a Connecticut OTB. The video game industry has a worse survival rate than the restaurant business. The wife of a guy I know has worked for six startups in the industry in seven years. None really got started.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

But - but - but - but - but He's A Job Creator!!

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I really hope this debacle causes us to take a harder look at the way our state governments go about the business of "economic development." Seems like most of it is just states bidding against one another to attract businesses with ever increasing amounts corporate welfare and anti-labor legislation.

http://www.boston.com/businessupdates/2012/05/24/curt-schilling-studios-lays-off-all-staff/Oz242vVpcy6FLRwegTtkOP/story.html?p1=News_links

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is the "stimulus" you used to argue with me about.

It's also exactly what I told you happens when you have politicians empowered to run up debt and hand out money to whomever they want. You wanted it. You got it.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

No, it isn't. This is an example of the type of corporate welfare I detest. However, I'm all for building some bridges and cleaning up the environment and investing in all sorts of projects that benefit the community at large ...

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You are making a distinction that doesn't actually exist--and can't exist in reality. When politicians are involved, you get corruption and incompetence. I detest corporate welfare, as well. But you can't say in one breath, "I detest corporate welfare. ..." and then in the next, "except the corporate welfare I don't detest." You're then like every other special interest with his hand out to an elected official--who then gets to arbitrarily decide what benefits the community at large. And of course, the reality of that world is outright corruption and waste, as evidenced by stories like this.

If you detest corporate welfare, than you should agree with me that our state and federal governments should not be in the business of handpicking areas to hand out money to. It is corrupt. In practice. And it is inefficient. In practice. It diverts money -- or worse, puts us all in debt (when politicians have no money to hand out, they just borrow) -- to unproductive areas of the economy at the expense of potentially productive areas that could have thrived if people had decided how to spend their money themselves.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

We get corruption and incompetence any time humans are involved.

Why do you think some unspecified group of "people" would do any better at spending their own money?

Draft saved Draft deleted