1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TBS show, My Boys, ... and other shows dealing with sportswriters

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Thank god this is over.
    I've been watching and watching waiting for it to get funny and it hasn't started yet. Mrs. Rhody yells at me for watching it.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Mrs. Rhody is a perceptive woman. Even Ray Barone would be right in questioning the realism of that show.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I didn't mind PJ-Bobby so much (even though PJ had more chemistry with Brendon) but Jim Gaffigan leaving saddened me. His lines were the best parts of the first three seasons.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Never saw this show, but, in general, I'd say that 90 percent of movies or TV shows portray the media as a bunch of goofs, morons and incompetents.
    From Dickie Dunn in "Slap Shot" to Rita Skeeter in the Harry Potter movies, to Sally Field's character in "Absence of Malice."
    Even Ed O'Neill's character in "Blue Chips."
    Pisses me off.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Leave Dickie Dunn alone. He tried damned hard to capture the spirit of the thing.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was watching an episode of Rescue Me tonight and there was a storyline about the firehouse closing - and several asides about the media biz being so down that they couldn't even cover the story so they'll just post something on YouTube.
    Never saw My Boys, but I kind of think - like I did when I saw the movie State of Play - that the old movie and TV fascination with the press might be coming to a close. Movie and TV audiences today (the ones that are sought by advertisers) just don't relate to newspapers anymore and the idea that one story or one reporter can bring down a politician or right a wrong just isn't realistic.
    The industry has gone the way of the milkman, gas station attendants and the malt shop.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Good riddance. That is all.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

OK, not all. At least Murphy Brown was actually funny, not that has anything at all to do with sportswriters. This show was just unmitigated dreck.

9. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

If Dickie Dunn writes it, it HAS to be true!

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Chiefs Fold: A Sad Commentary" - something along those lines.

11. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Agreed, although it was a bit off the mark, it at least showed its characters doing work and attempted to show the regulars struggling with issues like being objective with athletes they know, Natalie being assaulted at the Meadowlands, Dan being excited about certain events, etc.

It was good television, mind you some things like the dating plan did get a little wacky.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Agreed. HUGE Gaffigan fan here.

Draft saved Draft deleted