1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TBS show, My Boys, ... and other shows dealing with sportswriters

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

TV shows are one thing. But two movies perfectly and heroically portray life as a journalist:

All the President's Men
    Fletch

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Fletch. Did that guy ever have a notebook in his hand?

The Paper did a good job. Actual notebooks were used. Editors bitched about the budget meeting not starting on time and there was the one old school guy bitching about his chair. Every place I've worked there has been a "chair guy."

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

My desk looks like Oscar Madison's room ...

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Been a long time since I've seen Absence of Malice, but I seem to recall that one being pretty accurate.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

In Vegas, Miami and New York, the CSI teams really do solve the most complex cases in an hour or less.

And cops who shoot bad guys never, EVER have to file reports, much less serve administrative suspensions while their gunplay is investigated.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Final season of The Wire hit newspapers on the head.
    I don't know if I agree with your Ray Romano argument - there's a couple of columnists around my parts that write a lot about stuff they don't see.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Always liked Sports Night and it's two season run.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

OK, I admit - I watched it. Every episode.

In the finale, PJ elected to not try to be the paper's lead columnist because blogging and tweeting and — gasp! — going to games and press conferences was too time consuming. Mike married some chick he'd known for just a month, Kenny and Stephanie were moving to London, Bobby was going to law school after being laid off from the paper and Brandon bought their favorite bar.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

In the next season, she was gonna admit that when there are 25 packages in front of her, she might be attracted to at least one of them

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I liked the show, but the combination of Gaffigan leaving and the PJ-Bobby relationship (which had no chemistry) killed this season.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Even Oscar Madison, the patron saint of the niche, was a grotesque portrayal.

Draft saved Draft deleted