1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TBS show, My Boys, ... and other shows dealing with sportswriters

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Jul 26, 2010.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Do they even TRY to do research on the life of a sportswriter/columnist?

I like the show, Jordana Spiro is easy on the eyes and it's good enough to kill time in the summer for 30 minutes (20 with a DVR)...but seriously? When does this girl work? Does she ever go into the office? She's dating her rival sportswriter?

She's a Cubs beat writer in the show...yet I think she has been on a road trip once and covered spring training last season. That's a hell of a schedule for a writer for the Sun Times. I wonder how the guys/gals of the Sun Times and Tribune feel about their jobs on this show. LOL

Everybody Love Raymond was the same way....an unrealistic portrayal of a sportswriter.

I'm not ticked off about this. I just find it hilarious that they can't get this job down to even one iota of correctness.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I broke my "My Boys" maiden last night. Watched two episodes. Well, one and a half.

It's worse than I could have imagined.

I have a REALLY high tolerance for bad television. Ask anyone who knows me and has seen the list of what's on my DVR. But Christ, that show's just horridly written. Not even getting into the realism of it (I'm guessing no sitcoms are true to the occupations of their people), but just bad writing, no chemistry, the timing was off...it was like something a college kid would script/shoot.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I know I got into this business after watching the Fresh Prince episode where Will got to go to the Laker game in the sportswriter's limo.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Copy editors have to settle for a Cadillac!

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Is she still wearing a Cubs jersey and cap to pressers?

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Doug Heffernen spends a lot of time at IPS.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Somewhere on the DoctorsAndNurses.com message board, they are complaining about House and Grey's Anatomy.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

CBC's The Age of Persuasion radio show had a really good episode recently outlining the ways Mad Men is and is not realistic to the advertising world at the time.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Exactly. When "WKRP" was on, radio people complained about details that weren't realistic. It's a setting for a sitcom, not a documentary on the industry.

10. As a handsome daredevil motorcyclist who plays drums for the Beach Boys, I can assure you the depiction of Uncle Jesse's life on Full House was spot-on.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Indeed. I also hate it when my limo service shows up late.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It should be more realistic, like 'Taxi' or 'The Facts of Life.'

Draft saved Draft deleted