1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TBL talks to Karen Crouse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Wow.....

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If that's the case, then the Times ought to have "alternative" coverage on all the team beats, not just the Jets. But they don't.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I haven't read this whole thing but unless Karen has changed dramatically over the years, she is about as far away from arrogant as you can get.

4. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

1. The NYT move of Crouse off the Jets beat was NOT a demotion. Probably a step up, actually. She was going to become the golf writer, but then Larry Dorman became available.

2. And in reference to the moderator's comment above, yes, she must have changed.

5. This reminds me of the Bamberger-on-the-Phillies-beat story, where all his fellow beat writers hated him for trying to cover it "different."

6. Dibs on the half-naked celeb beat!

7. I thought that was funny too ... considering TBL starts every day by posting a photo of some hot starlet or female athlete.

When I read the interview my first thought: Countdown to her looks comments begin in .. ...

8. vivbernstein

vivbernstein Member

I have known Karen Crouse since her Orange County Register days. She is one of the nicest, least arrogant people I have ever met in this business.

By allowing the crap to be posted beneath the interview, The Big Lead has made clear to those of us who don't visit regularly that it is not a site to be taken seriously in this industry. I'd be surprised if another high profile female sports reporter grants an interview.

9. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

who is The Big Lead and why is he or she anonymous?

at least on Deadspin you know it's Will Leitch.

what's the big secret - and what's the point? why would someone as professional and talented as Crouse interview with a clandestine spook?

10. I don't work w/Karen on a day-to-day basis, but she parachuted in to cover the team I cover a few times last year, and I got a chance to get to know her a little bit. Arrogant? No way. She's actually very engaging and fun to talk to. The first time we spoke, she expressed surprise that one of the local beat guys would come speak to the "outsider". I love her work and from what little I know, she's a good person.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good post.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

1. I'd love to know what editor in SoFla put the screws to her 20 years ago....

2. Conspicuously absent was any mention of her 1996-97 stint in Fort Lauderdale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.