1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TBL: Reilly making out in pressbox (update!)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 12, 2007.

1. I read the Big Lead everyday. But how do they get away with repeating second and even thrid-hand info and looking for confirmation?

Here is an item on Rick Reilly.

Nugget about Sports Illustrated’s Rick Reilly, purportedly from Saturday’s Florida/LSU game, that is hilarious - if true:

“The pressbox gets a call from press will call saying that somebody claiming to be Rick Reilly is here wanting up to the press box. One of the SID’s goes downstairs to check (Reilly had not requested any credentials before hand) and in fact it was Rick Reilly. He appeared to be drunk/stoned and was accompanied by a blonde that my friend’s wife described as “looking like a stripper.” Given that it was Rick Reilly, he was allowed up to the press box. Where he proceeded to spend the whole game making out with his friend. One of the other SIDs was quoted saying “those two need a room bad.”

Florida/LSU probably had as many media members as Game One of the NLCS, so somebody out there has to be able to verify this. We haven’t seen the recent issue of SI … did Reilly write about anything from the game?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: This is news? How does TBL get away with this

You stay classy, TBL.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

how do they get away with it? easy -- there's no accountability. without accountability, who needs to worry about what they throw up on the web?

4. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

I'm sure they have multiple sources verifying it.

BLOGS!

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

That was on deadspin yesterday, which got it from Every Day Should be Saturday.. And no, Reilly didn't write about that game this week. He wrote about Lambeau.

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

For some reason I thought he was married. Now this further cements that I want him at my dinner table.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

He got divorced a few years ago.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And in a related development, TBL is reporting that Rick Reilly woke up in a tub of ice and was missing a kidney.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Lord.
    I don't care if he was Rick Reilly, Florida would not have let his "friend" in the press box with him and wouldn't have stood for such behavior.
    And, unless Rick has changed in the years since I knew him a bit - and he may have - he would not have done that.

I call 100 percent, complete bullshit and they get away with it because anybody can type up anything and put it on the Web.

10. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Actually ... you cut out the first part of the item, which stated that the item initially appeared on another blog (EDSBS). A link was provided. Here it is:

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/?p=3973

We had the Austin Scott story yesterday ... I guess if you're upset with the Reilly post, you would have been pissed if we had written half the stuff people from Penn State wrote in about that earlier in the week. Decided it was best to wait for a link to become available, and the paper's message board was sufficient.

Hey, if the Reilly post is wrong, we'll do what newspapers do - run a correction. Sometimes, a lawyer will just want the item deleted. We'll do that, too.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Name a non-tabloid that would run that item, please. I'll wait for an answer.

12. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

As one who was in that press box and talking with a fair number of fellow media types over the course of the evening, I would think if this was true I would have either seen it or at minimum heard about it. It's not like I was hoping to see RR (a stripper, on the other hand...) and that box is pretty spread out, so maybe he was somewhere on the far end away from me or in a different place than the main pressbox, but I highly doubt it.

Draft saved Draft deleted