1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TBL bags Rick Telander

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My staff had four guys who were former DI athletes. It isn't as uncommon as people think.

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I would start with everyone former professional athlete who is now a broadcaster.

Not, if you want to say "print journalist" . . .

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I think John Harper played college baseball.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know someone who was a lineman at Ball State.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Paul Zimmerman, old-school division.

6. Mizzougrad96

What did Mariotti do in 1995 to get suspended?

I remember hearing something about it, but I don't know the details.

7. Were David Haugh and Jason Whitlock teammates?

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but I think he was demoted to reporter, not suspended. Then there was some shuffle in management and he got the job back....I think.

9. Mizzougrad96

Do you know what he did to get demoted? Just the thought of Jay on a beat makes me laugh...

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No clue. I'm sure there are others here with better info, but I do recall there was a lot of management movement at both the SunTimes and the Tribune around then, maybe he just wasn't making the bosses happy...I know you're looking for something nefarious but I'm not sure that's the real story. I defer to anyone who knows better.

11. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

It was a management shakeup. The guy who brought in Telander ended up getting the ax, then Mariotti was given back lead-columnist status.

12. Mizzougrad96

I vaguely remember hearing that Telander was very unhappy shortly after he was hired and that he may have tried to go back to SI.

Draft saved Draft deleted