1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lantaur, Feb 23, 2011.

1. lantaur

lantaur Active Member

Since there are (unfortunately) threads on layoffs at newspapers, here's one from the online world:

TBD.com cut 1/3 of its staff. This site is going under a total reorg and is going miles away from its original intended purpose - from a news organization site to covering arts & entertainment.

What started out as a potentially good idea - and perhaps a trendsetting one - turned into a complete and utter disaster.
  2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

[blue]I think I donated a couple bucks to this back in the day when it was called TBA, and the Bluths had a big dinner for it. It wasn't as good the next year though, and the year after that, a racist lady died at the dinner when she choked on some raw chicken.[/blue]
  3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I wonder what Jim Brady is thinking today...
  4. SeanKennedy

SeanKennedy Member

An ambitious idea. And like so many such things, it didn't work out.

Sad, because they had some good content.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The writing was on the wall when he quit within a month or two of the launch.
  6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The execution of the site was a disaster from the get-go. Navigating the site was treacherous and the content you did see was often a link to somewhere else. Those who actually tried to find content that was posted did fine. But the leaders of that place, who tried to make this the Politico of local news around DC, botched it badly. It was way off my radar as a news source. A potentially good idea bludgeoned by the Albrittons. Shocking.
  7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It might have had too many problems to fix, but returning to my central theme, I wonder if they had listened to a savvy guy like Brady whether it would have had more of a chance.
  8. lantaur

lantaur Active Member

I might be biased, as I know Jim, but the site was gaining traction and readership. Of course, it didn't have management backing so we'll never know. Also, they had the wrong people in charge of selling ads, which didn't help.
  9. It was half-hearted, since it's a website trying to not only complement, but COMPETE against its own 24-hour news station and its ABC affiliate, Channel 7 in Washington, D.C.

Now, the News Channel 8 name is back, but the annoying rave music that was TBD's theme has remained.
Draft saved Draft deleted