1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taxpayers funding NASCAR...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Feb 25, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Just saw this...and pardon the DB but again if it's there, I'm glad it's not a snake.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/auto-racing/2011/feb/25/tdsport05-military-sponsorships-in-nascar-question-ar-866340/

When we're talking about budget deficits, I can see the gripe.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I, pretty far away from printdust on the political spectrum, have no problem with this at all. The U.S. military is an all-volunteer force, meaning that recruiting is kind of important. You can't recruit without advertising and marketing.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'm more insulted that taxpayers fund some college football bowl games.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'll believe Peak Oil and a real budget crisis are actually here when NASCAR vanishes.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm more insulted that taxpayers fund stadiums.

Unless it's a loan with interest, make the owners pay to build their own damn factories.

6. printdust

printdust New Member

Or Super Bowls, or Olympics.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As I noted on the earlier thread about this topic -- the events are soaked in military lore, from the fly-overs to the recognition of various units and military branches, so it seems to me our tax money could be better spent elsewhere, where recruiters could reach new audiences. Besides, you mean to tell me that Charlotte Motor Speedway would decline a request by the National Guard to set up a recruiting display in the concourse, for free?

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Maybe they should try marketing to Columbia students

Draft saved Draft deleted