1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TaxCut or TurboTax?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it.

Anyone suggest one over the other?

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I use turbotax now because I've used it in the past and it automatically imports all of my personal information. I started using it on the recommendation of a friend. It's fairly easy, and I haven't had any problems.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I do TurboTax online. I had my money in my account within a week.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Speaking of taxes, the employees at my shop got a notice that our W-2s may be inaccurate and we should hold off on filing. Unfortunately, that notice came after many people filed. I would have been in that group because I usually file within a day or two of getting my W-2, but luckily I was on vacation and didn't bother.

5. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

This happened at our shop as well. I hadn't filed yet because based on the info I had on hand, I ended up owing for the first time in my professional working life. So be it. Maybe the "inaccuracies" will lead to a refund, but I doubt it.

I've used TurboTax for the Web for several years now, and have never had a problem.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

So I'm trying the TurboTax Online version for free to get an idea of my return. I put in all my info and get to my student loan interest. I punch in the numbers and it says, "GOOD NEWS! You can deduct every single penny of your student loan interest."

That's cool and all, but why did my return drop $200 after I put in the student loan interest? I don't wanna deduct every penny if it means I get $200 more back.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Happened at my shop too, and that was after they'd already mailed out new W2's because they had the wrong employer number for the state.

I already have my refund, so I really hope I don't have to file an amended return.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I like those "ask the box" commercials.

If it is a simple return, do it yourself.
    If it is not (lots of deducations, freelance, whatever), you'll get back what you cough up to an accountant or H&R Block or whatever.
    Trust me on this.

9. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Marry/date an accountant. Problem solved.

10. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Don't forget about Free File: http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=118986,00.html

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Wife and I are seeing our accountant in one week to do our taxes.

12. jmm1412

jmm1412 Member

If you're just taking the standard deduction, do it yourself. I've been using TaxAct online. It works quite well, costs little. I got my most recent refund in 8 days.

Draft saved Draft deleted