1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tax Time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Totally Krossed Out, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I moved, too, and got $500 reimbursed by my new company. I saved the receipts for the other $100 or so and plan to use that on the taxes, as well as my house and all the utilities I paid while it sat vacant, on the market.

My fiancee says you can put mileage on your taxes at government rate, whatever that is.

Personally, I'm going to H&R Block because I'm scared to do my taxes alone, even with Turbo Tax or whatever program it might be. I just can't overcome that fear that I'm going to cost myself money. At least I can blame someone else when they screw up my taxes. But I am curious, how much does it cost for Turbo Tax? And I presume you get it at places like Best Buy and Circuit City?

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

All depends on which version you get ... cheapest is for around $15 for federal ... most expensive is about $75 for federal (there's a small additional expense for state).

I get the Deluxe version (around $40 total) ... Very helpful with freelancing and Schedule Cs. Even though they recommend the most expensive version (Home & Business) for that, I haven't had any problems.

Nice thing about TurboTax if you are worried about the IRS knocking on your door, they offer you Audit defense for a few bucks ... kind of a nice peace of mind in case something should go wrong.

Either way, the program still checks over your paperwork for errors before you can file it.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

A friend who works for H&R Block just told me H&R Block wasn't offering the federal return for free this year, but it is still listed on the IRS web site. I'd be wary of Block online until it's for sure whether it will be free or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted