1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tax Time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Totally Krossed Out, Feb 9, 2007.

1. busuncle

busuncle Member

If I had more money and/or a complex return, I would go to an accountant. My filings are pretty simple, and I've been a happy TurboTax customer for the last eight years or so.

Just my 2 cents, but some of the storefront tax places charge way too much for work that most people could easily do on their own.

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I've never been audited and I got over $1,000 back last year. I claimed moving expenses and other stuff which a friend tells me is one of the biggest red flags the IRS sees.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Never audited using TurboTax here, and that's about six years or so and includes a couple of cross-country moves.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

We have a complicated tax-return status, and I've used TurboTax for years without any problems. Went without last year, and I (unknowingly) triggered small AMT issues that had to be resolved by a little phone chat. Back to the program this year.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I love tax time. I'm such a nerd. It's my left-brained time of the year, I guess.

I don't use a program, I just read the instructions that come with the forms. As life goes on and things get more complicated, I'm sure I'll have to use software or a professional, but even with itemization and schedules B, C and D, I'm OK on my own.

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I would go without if I weren't filing as part-year or non-residents on all my state returns this year. Or if I were filing in only one state.

I think next year will be interesting for me. Doc and I will have to file married next year because the last day of the Tax Cycle we will already be married. I'm not sure how that will work since we will get married almost exactly halfway through the year.

7. I used an accountant a few years ago and found I could save just as much through one of the IRS-affiliated websites like FreeTaxUSA that won't charge you a penny if you (and your spouse) grossed less than $55,000 (came in handy when the wife was staying at home with the newborn). They'll do state taxes for $10.

I've never been audited but that's why I keep the paperwork.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Made too much money to use TurboTax for free this year, so I used TaxAct, which processed my sad little 1040EZ easy as pie.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'm a newlywed that's freaked out that I'm missing out on some fat deductions, and fat loopholes due to the fact I'm married now. I am absolutely clueless about taxes, which worries me. I've had to pay the last three years, and I'm afraid it's because I try to file myself and I'm way too naive about things. I did TurboTax last year and it was easy, but I had to pay and everyone around me was stunned.

Should I go to H&R Block to try and figure things out?

10. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Couple questions:
    TKO, what does HRBlock charge you? I can't do them myself, as I am an idiot, and my father is out, as I've gotten two delqinuent notices from college days when I re-registered in Ohio.'

Secondly, the 1099 is the freelance thing, no? I'll get that from my freelance boss, right? And if I did one gig, in April, for a company, will I get anything from them?

Thanks in advance. ...

11. I believe - and I could be wrong - that you only get 1099s if you make more than, say, $3,000 a year in freelance. It may be less than that. Point being, if you made only a couple hundred in freelance this year I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think you'll get 1099s, nor do I think you'll be expected to file that stuff.

Double-check this, though. I could be wrong.

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Nope. I cut back on my freelancing this year and made only $650 and still got a 1099 ... I believe the magic number is $600. Again, I could be wrong as well about this amount ...

Draft saved Draft deleted