1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tax rebates coming?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Jan 18, 2008.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

To me, that's the big joke. We're going to solve our current economic crisis -- which is essentially driven by bad credit (housing, credit cards) -- by giving everyone a check to stimulate the economy (read: go to Best Buy and get a TV!) when we should be encouraging the behavior of paying down personal debt.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Taxes! Yeesh. There's something I know very little about.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That explains the letter the State of Idaho sent me about my refund from them last year. How do they do this check? They just send it out to whoever? When do we get it?

4. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

Hey, I'll gladly take an $800 rebate, but I'm a little annoyed that every time there is a hiccup in the economy people in government think they have to ride to the rescue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the environment created by the Fed's artificially low interest rates that created this subprime mess in the first place. Once again, government creates a problem and then comes running to the rescue with an even worse solution.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It's just the cyclic environment of any economy. Simple as that. When this is over, we'll see economic growth like we did a few years ago. Interest rates'll get really low, again, and the same crap'll happen all over again.

6. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Story I just read on CNN said the check could arrive in June . . . so much for quick action, but there's bureaucracy for you.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Ace you ignorant slut ... [/aykroyd]

If you owe back taxes, you'll likely have it deducted from the amount you owe, or the amount you owe deducted for the rebate. Happened to me last time this was done.

I don't get how this could be considered income, btw

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The Chinese will buy the bonds that we need to sell so that we can give $1600 to folks to buy more stuff made in China. God Bless America!

9. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I'm going to buy 800 lottery tickets.

10. Upper Tupper

Upper Tupper Member

I'm waiting to see some punishment doled out to those that got us into this mess.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Don't hold your breath.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Who should be punished? Wait until the bond insurers lose the AAA ratings. You want to see a mess that shitstorm will make the the subprime mess seem like a pimple on a donkey's ass. When municipalities can't get bonds insured all hell is going to break loose.

Draft saved Draft deleted