1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tax rebates coming?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Jan 18, 2008.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

One of the things they're talking about here is a "tax rebate" of $800 for singles, $1,600 for couples (under $85K/$110K income) ... my question is this, and I haven't seen it answered in an article yet: Is this on the taxes I owed for 2007, or will it be on the 2008 taxes I file in 2009?

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

This will be a check for whatever amount. It won't affect your refund from either last year or this year. Like the last time they did this, it's an attempt to buy your love.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Keep those Deutschmarks rolling off those presses . . . yowsah.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They can't buy my love. ... but they can rent it a while.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Remember, with the lovely way the government works, any tax refund you get will have to be reported as 2008 income when you go to file your taxes next year.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Recessions are part of the natural economic cycle, just let it happen. We'll be out of it by the end of the year or the first year of the new president's term at the latest.
    http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=2&aid=135635

7. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Would anybody else use most of that just to pay off debt or put in savings rather than go spend like the government is intending?

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm not going to spend it. JR is right; it will be considered income next year. It's not a rebate, it's an advance.

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be advantageous to the country if everyone used it to pay off their debt, too? Maybe not as good as it would if we all spent it (on Japanese televisions), but advantageous nonetheless.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I will use mine to pay the ticket my wife got from a red-light camera. [/grumblegrumble]

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I want mine in EUROs

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

This is the lead story on Yahoo's home page.

http://biz.yahoo.com/cnnm/080118/011808_rebate_how_it_works.html?.v=3&.pf=taxes

Draft saved Draft deleted