1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tax question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jay Sherman, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

I know it doesn't mean $1,300 in my pocket. I was referring to the $1,300 that I wish was in my pocket if I got the IRS mileage rate. Can anybody break this down to me like you would explain it to a five-year old? I'm filing taxes for the first time on my own (yay adulthood!).

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I could explain it if you were strictly a freelancer or a contract worker. We've talked before so I know you have a full-time gig so I can't really explain it based on that.

3. Hillman

Hillman New Member

For anyone who prepares their own tax return, I recommend spendiing $20 for Turbotax or the H & R Block software program.

Those programs assist greatly in making certain everything goes on the right line. They can be annoying the first time through, but a little practice makes it easy.

It's a lot cheaper than paying a tax service 50 bucks or more for a fairly simply return.

Draft saved Draft deleted