1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tax question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jay Sherman, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

I guess this counts as a journalism topic. If not, feel free to move this to the correct forum. Anyway, I spoke to an accountant buddy asking about the mileage writeoffs for filing my taxes. My paper pays $0.23/mile and the IRS rate is $0.58/mile. Right now, that's about a $1,300 difference, which is pretty big to someone who makes somewhere in the low-$20s.

He said the following: "It would be part of your itemized deductions subject to a 2% reduction based on your adjusted gross income. Considering you're just out of school, you probably won't get a dime back because you likely don't have enough itemized deductions to overcome the standard deduction."

Then he said: "Your standard deduction for 2008 is 5,350. So figure your donations + this amount + the amount of state taxes is > 5,350. For the record, many people who don't own a home file the standard deduction. There are other business expenses that could be unreimbursed employee expenses, not just mileage."

So journos, am I SOL come April, or were you able to get the deductions? And if so, how? BTW, I know this is a very premature question, I'm just curious as I'm looking at the mileage and wondering what could have been if I had an extra $1,300 in my pocket.

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

You're still getting it. It's just included in that standard deduction.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

You're not SOL... you will take a standard deduction of $5,350 which covers these type of things. If you can itemize more than $5,350, then itemize, which I can all but guarantee you can't.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Um. Even if you could write off the $1,300, it wouldn't be $1,300 in your pocket, it would mean you don't pay taxes on that amount, which would put a couple hundred bucks in your pocket.

If you really want to claim it, I guess you could donate a whole lot of money between now and Jan. 1.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Is the Ace Foundation up and running yet?

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

As they said: In your age and in your situation, you won't be able to itemize, and you'll be getting the "mileage" as part of the standard deduction.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Give me 10 minutes.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

Many people think saying something is "deductible" means just that. Actually, unless thresholds are met based on your filing status, most items are not. And forget medical, which needs an amount more than 7.5 percent of your AGI to even start being deducted.

9. Medical is a joke. We couldn't claim it the year we had a baby because the standard is so high.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

For you, I'll give you 15.

11. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Form 2106. Unreimbursed business expense. Separate from the standard deduction. Also covers employment-related education, I believe.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wrong Clerk.
    Still has to exceed 2% of AGI and then be transferred to Sched A if you are able to itemize.

Draft saved Draft deleted