1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tax question: Never got a 1099?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mdpoppy, Mar 12, 2008.

1. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

I'm finally going to sit down and do my taxes this weekend with the aid of Turbo Tax, so maybe that'll guide me through, but I figured I'd through this question out there anyway ...

I did a small amount of freelancing this past fall (probably $300 to $500 worth), but never got a 1099. Do I have to worry about filing then? I'm not even going to dive into what I can and can not claim since it was so small, I don't have the receipts and it was minimal costs, anyway. But, I'd like to know if I should be putting my income from these on my taxes so I don't get in any trouble.

I'm sure there's some sort of cut-off number if I need to file or not (I'm filing for my regular income, I just mean the freelance income), but can't seem to find it anywhere.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

2. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

On second glance, I see $600 as a base figure. Is this correct?

Thanks again!

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Do you feel lucky?

Report it. The tax you'd save by not including it isn't enough to worry that you'll hear from the IRS about this five years from now.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Don't know how it works for freelancing, but the 1099-DIV you get from investments could still be on their way as mutual fund companies and the like have until early March to reclassify income/expenses, which effects how your dividends get reported. I've gotten two corrected 1099-DIV forms in the last two weeks because of that.

Draft saved Draft deleted