1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tax 'em if you got 'em

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Apr 6, 2008.

1. New York has hiked its cigarette tax again, to a national high of $2.75 per pack.

That means the average cost of a single pack of cigarettes there will now be about $6.

Meanwhile, in South Carolina the cigarette tax is 7 cents, for an average cost of about $3.10.

Either way, I'm damn glad I'm not paying for cigarettes any more, though I do miss them.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/04/03/ap4850375.html

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

This makes me almost as happy as UConn losing.

Maybe this will get Dr. J to quit smoking.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

You haven't been able to buy cigs in NYC for less than $6 for about 5 years. It's $7+ now, including sales tax
    NJ with sales tax added is minimum $6 a pack or more.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

As long as the addicts keep paying.

5. Wow. You, the government, Big Tobacco and every drug dealer in America has the same attitude.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What do I care if people want to smoke themselves to death? (And not saying I never have a cig, either.)

Pay for the privilege.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I almost became a smoker in high school, though I doubt I could ever admit it to my parents if it became a full-time thing. I, at 15, gave my friend $5 to get me a pack. I expected change, and he said that's what it cost -- in 1998. I ended up giving most of them away, anyway, and never and never asked him to buy me another pack. It was too much a hassle covering up the smell on my breath.

But I became addicted to Reese's Pieces, and that was tough to quit.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I've got to say that I love my cigarettes. Unfortunately for my pocketbook (and my husband's wallet) we do do not yet consider $6 a pack to be too much. I said I would quit when they hit $4 but alas, it didn't happen. Maybe when they get to be four figures a pack then I'll consider. Until then, I'll keep paying my taxes and enjoying every one that I smoke. Now don't bash me, as I keep my smoking to the privacy of my home & car and don't have any children at home. I enjoy it and plan to continue. Taxes be damned.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

STICK IT TO THE TAX MAN

SWITCH TO CRACK

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

there's nothing quite like that first pull right after you get out of bed.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Bloody pack of smokes was 5 marks ($3) when I was in Deutschland 15 years ago, and I thought they were expensive as hell then.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Depending on where you buy 'em anywhere from $7.50 to $9.00 a pack up here. That's for a SMALL pack.

But you do get a free warning with each purchase:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted