1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tax 'em if you got 'em

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Apr 6, 2008.

1. New York has hiked its cigarette tax again, to a national high of $2.75 per pack.

That means the average cost of a single pack of cigarettes there will now be about $6.

Meanwhile, in South Carolina the cigarette tax is 7 cents, for an average cost of about $3.10.

Either way, I'm damn glad I'm not paying for cigarettes any more, though I do miss them.

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

This makes me almost as happy as UConn losing.

Maybe this will get Dr. J to quit smoking.
  3. spnited

spnited Active Member

You haven't been able to buy cigs in NYC for less than $6 for about 5 years. It's $7+ now, including sales tax
    NJ with sales tax added is minimum $6 a pack or more.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

As long as the addicts keep paying.
  5. Wow. You, the government, Big Tobacco and every drug dealer in America has the same attitude.
  6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What do I care if people want to smoke themselves to death? (And not saying I never have a cig, either.)

Pay for the privilege.
  7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I almost became a smoker in high school, though I doubt I could ever admit it to my parents if it became a full-time thing. I, at 15, gave my friend $5 to get me a pack. I expected change, and he said that's what it cost -- in 1998. I ended up giving most of them away, anyway, and never and never asked him to buy me another pack. It was too much a hassle covering up the smell on my breath.

But I became addicted to Reese's Pieces, and that was tough to quit.
  8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I've got to say that I love my cigarettes. Unfortunately for my pocketbook (and my husband's wallet) we do do not yet consider $6 a pack to be too much. I said I would quit when they hit $4 but alas, it didn't happen. Maybe when they get to be four figures a pack then I'll consider. Until then, I'll keep paying my taxes and enjoying every one that I smoke. Now don't bash me, as I keep my smoking to the privacy of my home & car and don't have any children at home. I enjoy it and plan to continue. Taxes be damned.
  9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

there's nothing quite like that first pull right after you get out of bed.
  11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Bloody pack of smokes was 5 marks ($3) when I was in Deutschland 15 years ago, and I thought they were expensive as hell then.
  12. JR

JR Active Member

Depending on where you buy 'em anywhere from $7.50 to $9.00 a pack up here. That's for a SMALL pack.

But you do get a free warning with each purchase:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted