1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tax break for Olympic medalists? 1 guy votes no - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ringer, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm attempting to provide two examples of tax incentives being used to encourage behavior that I don't think provide any benefit to the citizenry as a whole.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying, but I feel like you're leaning on the word "virtuous."

Perhaps, in your mind's eye, you can envision a world where we can manage human welfare without the tax system, but any system comes with flaws. Maybe it doesn't come with the things you listed here, but it's going to come with some irritating shitty side effects no matter what it is, because that's human nature.

It's also interesting that you write the words "unless you start off from the vantage point of the mob having a claim on what others have earned."

I mean, isn't that basically the underpinnings of Manifest Destiny - that settlers didn't have to recognize Indian tribes and could just take their land without permission?

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

No.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Why?

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Exactly.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well the opening phrase of my sentence was 'in some cases.'

7. Having graduated with Jim Himes in college, I support his logic and reasoning. Besides, this tax break is only for a very, very few people. It's not as though the tax break is for every single member of the Olympic team. This tax break is benefitting several multimillion-dollar athletes like Kevin Durant. They don't need this tax break in the first damn place.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure, if they set up their training and competitions through nonprofit organizations, most Olympic-level athletes in all but the big-money professionalized sports can write off most of their expenses anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted