1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tax break for Olympic medalists? 1 guy votes no - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ringer, Sep 27, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You're so deep ...

cjericho likes this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

America: If you can dream it, we can tax it.

fossywriter8 likes this.
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I largely agree with this post. However, as it pertains to the GOP candidate, we are seeing that he is using his "charitable" foundation - and likely other means - to skirt the tax laws and commit fraud on his way to paying no taxes.

And I think for most of us, it's hard to fathom finding enough legal deductions to reduce our tax rate to $0.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That's not what she said.

doctorquant likes this.
  5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

It's how we provide incentive for behavior that we want to encourage and disincentive for behavior we want to discourage. Having and caring for children benefits society, but is expensive. A tax break mitigates against the cost. Same with charity. This was also true about home ownership, though I can imagine someone wanting to revisit that decision.
    I agree that there are real inefficiencies in the system, but we know why it exists. And without it, we would need a replacement.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Our tax code does an excellent job of demonstrating to people how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.

I'd also suggest stopping the feckless attempts at trying to encourage and discourage behaviors that have randomly gotten decided are good or bad. ... and let people figure out what they value (and how much it means to them) for themselves.

As for the reality (because that is NOT how our overly-complicated tax code has come about anyhow), I'd just get rid of the corruption in which some entities are rewarded at the expense of others (which creates economic costs) based on what politicians they have in their pockets.

7. Guy_Incognito

I'm not sure what you mean by this part.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

In some cases, the government should not be in the business of encouraging or sanctioning behaviors once deemed beneficial in an outdated mindset.

Monogamy and children are prime examples. These are two distinct elements and covered distinctly as possible tax relief.

However, the model and notion of state-sanctioned monogamy is outdated. There is no overt benefit to citizens as a whole for the government to promote state-sanctioned monogamy. The issue is not one of heterosexual and homosexual inclusiveness; it is an issue of getting the government out of the business of sanctioning marital unions.

State-sanctioned monogamy is further outdated because state-sanctioned coupling does necessarily result in offspring, once considered a benefit to the citizenry. There is no equation in which marriage = children. Further, their are tax benefits available for children. Offering monetary benefits to monogamous unions AND bearing children is double dipping.

Lastly, have we not hit a population level at which child rearing is no longer an automatic benefit to the citizenry as a whole? Are we not currently at population level that will sustain a naturally occurring productive citizen replacement without the need for financial incentive?

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Congrats, folks. You just gave Ryan Lochte a tax break.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Jeah!

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Can he write off any fines he pays to Brazil?

12. Guy_Incognito

You're quibbling with their choices, not making a case for them to get out of the business.

Draft saved Draft deleted