1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taser geek apologizes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Oct 30, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

There is no chance the university offered him a cash settlement.
    Zero.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

he just thought it was a motivational ploy to help the Gators beat the Dawgs

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't know Hondo. Ask him. You were the one who posted this.

I don't actually care.

I have no idea whether he settled or not.

You know, it's an opinion, Hondo. They're all equal.

Mine are as valid as yours even though most of yours fall under the "moon is made of cheese" category.

Oh, and he didn't "willingly" get tasered. The university rent-a-cops were doing their Selma, Alabama routine

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Yeah? He deserved a few loose teeth.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I think there is plenty.

I am sure he sicked lawyers on them the day after this happened, and they hammered out something hush-hush VERY quickly.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Nope.
    The university, it would seem, made sure they stuck it to him by making him apologize for his petulance.
    They won this one, 100%. They were the windshield, he was the bug.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And part of the settlement includes an apology. It wouldn't be the first time that happened.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Oh, I know what you are saying, I just can't see him getting anything for embarrassing himself and the school.

This, also, from the article:
    He said Meyer's apology was completely self-prompted. He started drafting it immediately after his release from jail Sept. 18.

I guess he saw pretty quick not everyone was on his side after his act failed miserably.

9. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

No, they didn't. The kid was a fuckup, and if any of you could be bothered to read the FDLE's 79 page report on the tasing (I have) which is filled with dozens of witness interviews, it's very clear that they have Meyer nailed for having orchestrated the whole thing as a publicity stunt. He received not a dime from UF, and is apologizing in lieu of being forced to go through a court hearing which would have made his role clear.

JR, you have absolutely no idea about the qualifications of the officers involved in this and really couldn't be more clueless about the situation if you made a concerted effort to be.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Post the report.

I assume it's public.

Doesn't change the fact that based on the video evidence the university rent-a-cops had no clue how to handle this situation.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

I disagree.
    The only clueless one was the attention whore thinking he'd get 15 minutes out of it.

12. IU90

IU90 Member

JR, you're sounding a bit defensive--perhaps because this evolved so differently than you expected?

If so, in fairness, I'm surprised too. Never would've guessed this outcome: nobody was sued, nobody was fired, and the kid ends up being the only one apologizing. The initial reaction on here would've made you think we had Rodney King II on our hands.

Draft saved Draft deleted