1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Target vs. WalMart

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 20, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not seems ... is.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I don't think Borders has the selection that B&N or Books-A-Million has. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's always seemed that way to me. And I'm someone that loves to spend an hour roaming through bookstores.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I feel the opposite, John. Borders has always struck me to have far more books than Barnes & Noble, certainly more than Books-A-Million.

B&N is a glorified Waldenbooks to me.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'll take any second-hand bookstore over Barnes & Noble, Borders or the dreaded Books-a-Million. They all suck.

When I was a kid, it was Caldor only.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I'll agree with that, but there aren't that many around anymore.

If I still lived in Oxford, Miss., I'd only buy books at Square Books, one of the last great independent bookstores still open.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

John, they're hard to find. Agreed on Square. Terrific bookseller. Perfect for the town, too.

I only deal with subject specific sellers now, many of them mom and pop operations, so I have no use for the Bs.

7. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

The Wal-Mart here is a last-ditch option.

It's the place to go, however, if you want to look through CDs soaked in blood dripping from a rump roast someone decided to abandon atop the rack.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

If Target stayed open until 1 a.m. or so, I'd be a much happier person. As it is, Wal-Mart is a last-ditch option that I always end up regretting somewhere around aisle 18 and the 3,000th person that made me question "Where are they hiding their gun?"

We only have a Books-a-Million in town. I go in there to pick up some discounted books and a few magazines. It makes me appreciate going to Barnes & Noble before covering something in Slightly major city that much more.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Can't stand Wal-Mart, but never mind going to Target. I like the household items in Target a lot better, too.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Will say this....

In our area, Wal-Mart allows youth teams to set up a grill and do hot dogs/burgers/yadayadayada, utterly free of charge.

These fundraisers are the difference for some of these sports teams having a season or not.

Target does not allow such sullying of the side of their entrances, not even for payment.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Have no idea how Borders stays in business.

Also, those SuperTargets are incredible.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted