1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Target vs. WalMart

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 20, 2007.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The steaks at Costco are much better than the ones at Sam's.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Apparently the CEO of BP has been making his day feel a bit better also:

LONDON — BP's (BP) John Browne resigned Tuesday as chief executive of the world's third-largest oil company after a judge here cleared the way for a newspaper to publish details of his relationship with another man.
    BP Chairman Peter Sutherland said in a statement that Browne decided to step down "because he does not want this public focus on his private life to detract from the paramount task of running the BP group."

The company said its board had appointed Tony Hayward to immediately replace Browne, who had led BP for 11 years. Browne had announced earlier this year that he was going to step down at the end of July, and Hayward had been named to replace him on Aug. 1.

Browne, who is a British lord, had sought in the courts since the first of the year to prevent London's Mail on Sunday newspaper from publishing details of an interview with a man with whom Browne formerly had a relationship. An appeals court on Tuesday lifted restrictions.

"For the past 41 years of my career at BP, I have kept my private life separate from my business life," Browne said in a statement, in which he expressed disappointment with the court ruling. "I have always regarded my sexuality as a personal matter, to be kept private."

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

If I need a ton of stuff, I'll go to Wal-Mart. For clothes, toys, seasonal stuff, sporting goods, I'll choose Target. Never as busy, prices similar, quality much higher.

4. boots

boots New Member

I'm down with Wally World.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I can't stand Wal-Mart. I always feel like the stuff at the top of the shelves is gonna fall on top of me.

Hey, nobody said I was rational.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cost of the severance package to be tied directly into gas prices in the next 10 days

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

True Walton family aficionados will recall Bud's, Wal-Mart's discounted discount store.
    You ever wonder what Wal-Mart does with the stuff that gets returned or with the stuff they couldn't sell, even on super clearance?
    Well, it used to go to Bud's and sold as is.
    Some may also recall Wal-Mart's efforts at Hyper*Mart, the fore-runner to the SuperCenter and it had a Wal-Mart, grocery store, a Home Depot like operation, a food court and in essence it was a mall.
    Luckily, the idea was too unwieldy and large even for Wal-Mart and the idea died with just a couple of them open.

Here’s the best test in a Wal-Mart v. Target debate. When was the last wedding you went to where the couple was registered at Wal-Mart or at Target?
    I’ve been to lots of weddings, not one couple has been registered at Wal-Mart, and almost all have been at Target.
    I think mostly because of that Graves guy, and his kitchen gadgets and household stuff. Or like the commercial used to say, "design matters."

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Michael Graves. LOVE his stuff.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Twice.

Back in January, I was getting some frozen juice. I reached up to the top shelf and in a nanosecond, juice cans were raining down upon me. LOTS of juice cans. And of course, not a single person stopped to help.

The week before Easter, the woman standing next to me in the candy aisle reached for a chocolate bunny and several of them rained down upon her.

WalMart is a very scary place.

10. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Too funny.

I was looking through the TV listings and in five minutes a two-hour show, "The Age of Wal-Mart: Inside America's Most Powerful Company" is airing on CNBC.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

On paper, Borders should be a superior bookstore to Barnes & Noble. But every Borders I've been to feels off, not as nice as the BN. The one I go to every so often is fine, but the BNs west and east of it on the main drag are better. They do have the coffee milkshake that rocks the party that rocks the body body body, but other than that, they tend to disappoint.

Still better than Books-a-Million, which should serve Icees and have blue light specials.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

I kinda dig the Books-A-Million in my town. It's not B&N, but it's better than Borders, IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted