1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Target vs. WalMart

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 20, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always felt guilty when I do buy something at a WalMart - I feel sorry for the people that work there, pity the people that MUST shop there and just never get a good vibe from the place. It's more of a cult than a store. Plus the chicks are cuter at Target.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

If the decent WalMart employees are that dissatisfied with their jobs, and it's that bad of a place, they could check www.bigboxstorejobs.com (holy crap, it's a real site), and maybe move up to a Target or something else.

True, the pay sucks and the hours are bad...hmmmmmmm :-\, but nobody is holding a gun to their heads to keep working there either.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Mr. Rosie emailed this joke to me a little while ago. I thought I'd share it, it seems appropriate to the topic at hand....

As I was retrieving a shopping cart in Walmart yesterday a particularly unkempt, unattractive and mean spirited woman who actually reeked of body odor pushed me aside. Shoving past me, the woman snarled at her kids, almost knocking another older lady down, grabbed the first cart and swung it around, hitting an older man working there as a Walmart Greeter.

As she pulled the cart away from the Greeter's stomach, in a kind and friendly voice the Greeter
    said, while gesturing towards the two children, "Are they twins?"

Glaring at him she snapped back saying, "No you old fool, the brat's 9 and the little witch is 7,
    are you so blind you think they look alike?"

"No," calmly replied the Greeter, "I just couldn't believe you got laid twice."

God loves those old people.

4. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Real grocery store =
    [​IMG]
    Those of you who have been there know what I'm talking about.

5. Who Knows

Who Knows Member

It was more Kmart acquiring Sears, which was also having financial difficulties.

Kmart's new chairman Edward Lampert (well new in 2004) helped the recovery. He's also Sears' largest stockholder.

Even with the merger, Kmart and Sears runs under its own name.

Here's an old article about the merger:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/2004/11/15/daily26.html

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Oh hell yes! I had never been in one until going to college, but man is that store amazing.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

When I used to go to Bills games it was a must stop on the way the Stadium. Awesome.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Wegmans kicks ass!

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I would have a hard time believing Wal Marts don't go out of their way to suck. Some of the shit there is just insane.

The last time I went was a Saturday afternoon ... just about the worst idea I've ever had. Ever. I couldn't even get in the door without waiting in line. They had a display taking up the middle of their already too-small entrance, and a herd of old people walking slow and families of 15 taking it all in were clogging things up. Add in a not-old-but-still-disgusting greeter, and it was a clusterfuck from the get go.

All the aisles are too narrow, and they have some dumbass stock boy in every one. Even if you know exactly what you want and where it is, it takes forever to actually get there and back.

And the people that go are ... people I don't like to be around. They're stupid people. Not stupid because they're at Wal Mart, but stupid because they're happy to be at Wal Mart. Shopping at Wal Mart doesn't make them stupid, but they are stupid because they shop at Wal Mart.

It's not like our industry is full of models, but Wal Mart shoppers are almost guaranteed to be fat and smelly. They're usually wearing sweatpants and ripped up shirts, and they have absolutely no problem being out in public looking like they just crawled up from a sewer. And they're always buying stupid shit ... they're the ones you see pushing a brimming cart up the counter just filled with shit that A. there's no way they need, and B. There's no way they can afford.

Of course there are ugly and stupid people at Target, too. Really, it's about the same business model, so it is a little silly to pick one over the other. I still like Target so much more. It at least tries harder to cover up the shit that is big box discount stores.

I guess it comes down to pride. Wal Mart and its regular customers don't seem to take the time to not look and act like homeless riff raff. Target and it's customers, regardless of their real place in life, do.

10. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Not gonna lie, that really confused me for a minute.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I don't know you, but I like the way you think. Welcome to the board.

12. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

The biggest philosophy at Target is "Fast, Fun and Friendly". It applies to both attitude toward customers and the work environment. I think the employees disposition at Target vs. the disposition of Wal-Mart employees is part of what makes Target more appealing for me. Well, that...and being an employee and getting a discount. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted