1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Target vs. WalMart

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 20, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They re-did the Target near me, I hadn't been there in a while. Saw something in the ad I'd like (a new bag for the road), so off I went. Those who know me know it takes something significant to get off my fat ass on a Sunday.

It's very nice now. They even have a full service Starbucks that had some of my favorite, seasonal variety (up to seven bags now boom).

But even before the makeover, I never minded shopping at Target.

WalMart?

If I have a choice between death and WalMart, I'll make sure my affairs are in order.

I'll buy some clothes now and then at Target. Wouldn't consider it at WalMart.

Maybe I am just a snob, maybe not. There can't really be that much difference can there?

Who's with me? Who is not?

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The difference between Target and Wal-Mart is the difference between a model and the skank you pick up at 2 a.m.

I love me some target.

3. Moderator1

Unlike the model, Target will talk to me.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Moddy, I am SO with you. I made the mistake of going into a Wal-Mart last Saturday. It was in a relatively nice area, so was probably a nicer Wal-Mart.

It:

a) smelled (like old cooking grease)
    b) was a mess -- stuff just thrown onto shelves, carts abandoned in aisles
    c) was loud -- screaming kids, ringing store phones
    d) was depressing as hell

On the other hand, every Target I've been to, even the smaller or older stores, haven't smelled bad, have been brightly lit, relatively neat and has displayed its merchandise in an appealing way. I rarely walk out of Target without buying several things I hadn't intended to. My best friend calls it "Satan's Emporium" because she can't get out of there without spending lots of cash.

Putting aside the way Wal-Mart treats its employees and the effect it has on the areas it comes into, I just don't like the store and after last Saturday, don't plan to go to another one if I can help it.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

You'll probably pay more at Target, but the difference is also in the quality. You can find some pretty cool stuff for a house at Target -- and it's presented nicely in the store.

Wal-Mart? Shithole goods in a shithole store. I feel like a head of cattle when I go in there.

And don't worry about the snob stuff. I tried both places -- gave 'em both legitimate shots. Target beats the shit out of Wal-Mart.

6. Moderator1

Little known fact: My wife's paycheck is directed deposited to Target.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Sadly, there is a Super WalMart closer to me than Target (and there is no Super Target anywhere even unreasonably close.)

So I do shop at WalMart -- but the one I shop at is actually clean and somewhat easy to navigate. I know, it's the exception to the rule. And during the day, it's usually not too crowded.

But I shop at Target whenever I get a chance. Target clearance racks are the best!

I do prefer Target and wish there was one in the town I shop in.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Much more well-known fact: The Nats still blow. *ducks*

Much newer fact: This year, Moddy, the Cardinals do, too.

But back to the topic at hand...

9. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Target is obviously nicer, but the best prices, I think, are at Wal-Mart. I do all my grocery shopping at Wal-Mart. It's like shopping with coupons, except you don't have to bring any coupons. The only time I shop at a different grocery store is when I'm buying meat, because the quality is better at say, a Publix, than at Wal-Mart.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'm with you, Target is clearly superior.
    Part of it is from Wal-Mart tries to be too many things, part grocery store, part regular store, part automotive, part pharmacy.
    While Target has some groceries, it is limited and it seems more like they focus on all the things Wal-Mart is weak on like clothes, furniture and unedited CDs.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Thing I couldn't believe about the Super Target in my new town after moving from a Wal-Mart monoply:

Super Target's in some states sell wine. And not just Boones Farm, but some nice selections.

They got some cash out of me there...

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

The Wal-Mart nearest my home has a fuckin' hair salon in it. A hair salon. Seriously.

I was at a bar one night three months ago and we were bullshittin' with the people the next table over, and the woman in the group confesses to being a Wal-Mart hair stylist. I ask her about the atmosphere, and she jokes:

"They treat us well. Hell, we're the skilled labor in the building."

Draft saved Draft deleted