1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Target is coming to Canuckistan! Should we celebrate?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jan 13, 2011.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

They've bought the Zellers chain from Hudson's Bay Company for $1.8 billion Zellers is a pretty down-market retailer--think of it as small Walmarts without greeters.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/target-heads-north-in-zellers-deal/article1868308/

Zellers has a about 200 stores and the plan is to convert about 100-150 to Target over a period of time.

Win/win for both: the Bay unloads an unprofitable chain and Target gets instant prime retail across Canada.

Never been in a Target but have heard all sorts of good things. I constantly see them described as "cheap chic" Are they all they're cracked up to be?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

This has been rumoured for some time. Mrs. Huggy will now not have to devote a day to shopping at Target while we are on vacation in the US. That's a good thing. Never been in one for more than five minutes but I know people who love that place.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Target uses Chinese slave labor, too, and it has behind-the-scenes corporate politics that are just as reprehensible as Wal-Mart. So I guess it's like any other retailer. However, you can go through the store and not feel quite so dirty. Definitely a much nicer atmosphere that Wal-Mart. The parking lot doesn't have the pulse of people girding themselves to abandon hope all ye who enter here.

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

It's Wal Mart without the soul-sucking. At their base, the companies have to be similar, but they feel entirely different.

If you put a 400-pound woman in pajamas with three kids, all wearing shorts and flipflops in January, directly between a Wal Mart and a Target, she'll go to Wal Mart every time. I.e. I don't walk out of Target wanting to kill myself or everyone else nearly as often as I do Wal Mart.

Clothes and furniture and home furnishing kind of stuff at Target isn't embarrassing either, while it definitely is at Wal Mart.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Target's home decor stuff is great. The Michael Graves kitchen collection is really cool. They also have PERFECT stuff for dorm rooms/etc.

I love Target. So clean, just feels better than Walmart. I don't dig on their grocery sections though (if you're getting a SuperTarget or whatever they're called).

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't go to Target too often, but they're pretty good. Huge variety of stuff and good prices.

The one nearest to me just did a remodel and added tons of fresh food. I guess that's cool, but I'm not going to be doing my grocery shopping there.

I also wish I could find toilet paper in less than 12 rolls. I really don't need that much at any one time.

On the plus side, there are almost always multiple good looking women every time I go. It makes me wonder why i don't go more often.

7. YankeeFan

BTW, the history of the Hudson Bay Company is pretty incredible.

We checked out their stores while in Toronto. Very nice.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I would hope you wouldn't need more than one roll at any one time. But you can put it in a closet, you know. Save it for later? It doesn't expire.

9. YankeeFan

I live in a loft. It's big, but their are no closets. All of my storage is store bought or built.

Plus, I've already got so much espresso shit around here that I just don't need 8 extra rolls of tp.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Espresso shits? Man, you really had better keep that extra TP around.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I echo almost everything that has been said about Tarjay on this thread. It does not inspire feelings of self mutilation at the thought of going the way a trip to Wal-Mart does.

The few times I visited the head office in Minneapolis the people were nice and corporately it does not seem to grind out their managers the way Wal-Mart does.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

When I was at my last publishing gig, HBC was a client of mine.

It's the oldest corporation in North America (founded in 1670) and one of the oldest in the world.

Their stores have evolved from the original trading posts.

Have one of their blankets which are still made in England:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted