1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Target employee whines about working on Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Anyone who thinks the Target employee is out of line and then complains about their own workplace should shut the hell up.

I say tighten blue laws and make stores close for certain federal holidays. Some states already force businesses to close or restrict hours, including North Dakota, where retail stores can't open until noon on Sunday.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

My experience is that most of the complaining about working on holidays comes from people who rarely, if ever, have to. They think if they complain about how unfair it is, then they're sufficiently sympathetic to their peers or co-workers who do the heavy lifting on such days.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I was just making fun, but there's a huge difference between complaining about your job, and circulating a petition against a job requirement that is obvious before you sign up. This is the equivalent of a bartender formally complaining about the late nights or a boxer upset that he gets punched.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A job has never existed that workers didn't complain about. I'm sure Playboy photographers eventually get tired of all the college girls with their squeaky voices. The difference is this guy felt like the whole world needed to hear his complaint and help him mount a campaign against his oppressor.

I bet we would find a lot of ninth-place ribbons in his bedroom.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

His job is getting in the way of his protesting career.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Blue laws are an incomprehensible anachronism that drain the economy and ensure that people can't get what they need when they have the time to go get it.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My favorite blue law: no alcohol sales in Indiana on Election Day. Can't have drunk people voting!

The Target employee can eat it. Do they not get holiday pay? For years I covered a huge "Turkey Trot" run on Thanksgiving morning, which I hated with all my soul. Had to get up waaaay early to be able to park anywhere near the start/finish line. But I was still done by early afternoon, and the extra money didn't hurt.

8. There is nothing more American than a business finding a niche - in this case it's holiday shoppers - and profiting off of serving it.

9. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I know we all should but I can't put into words how sick I am of hearing that shit.

Every time I say, "oh work sucked today," to a friend of mine, he says "at least we have jobs."

Also there is a simple way around being "called in" to work as someone put it.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

In other words, if I don't want to work on a given day, I'll fuck my co-workers who take their jobs seriously.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

At most at-will jobs today, you can do that about twice.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm also for mandatory 30 days paid vacation per year, plus sick time on top of that.

Draft saved Draft deleted