1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Target employee whines about working on Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Nov 15, 2011.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I thought it was the government workers who were lazy crybabies who should bend over for their daily fuckings and thank those giving it to them for allowing them to keep their jobs.

Quit if you don't like it, bitch.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Reading some of the posts on this thread I guess prove that misery loves company. "We work on Thanksgiving and miss time with our families, so should everyone else!"

I mean, "quit if you don't like it, bitch"? I've been screwed by my employer before, as I'm sure many others have been, but I sure as he'll didn't quit in this economy. I was forced to go back to working nights for a few months this summer. Not asked, forced. I could have quit, but you know, those pesky bills got in the way. Doesn't mean I couldn't complain about it.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh, it's everybody, according to the Uberclass.

Hardwick has two choices:

1) Talk to his union

2) Talk to his supervisor and tell him he doesn't want to work Thanksgiving. Depending on how indispensable to the operation he is, they may or may not accommodate him.

FTR, I am working on Thanksgiving, as I have for about 33 of the last 35 years.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If it is the same person I heard on the radio, that "lazy crybaby" is working two jobs to make ends meet.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm assuming TSP should have used the blue font there.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Once a long, long time ago, the grocery store might have been open from about 8 to noon on Thanksgiving day just in case someone forgot to get some Cool Whip or cranberry sauce. Now, Walmart only closes from midnight Christmas Day to 6 a.m. on the 26th ... and my sister has to go in to work at 3 a.m. on the 26th because, sure enough, there's going to be 10 a-holes ready for the doors to open so they can get into the exchange line.

Now I guess Wally World is going to have some Black Friday specials beginning at 10 p.m. Thanksgiving night, then more stuff at midnight and then more at 5 a.m. Really? No one can wait until 7 a.m. to get a $29 mp3 player?

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Well, if nobody shows up to purchase crap at midnight, perhaps stores will end the nonsense next year. But people line up at all hours for Black Friday. This obviously started as a terrific (or terrible) marketing ploy for businesses, but consumers ate it up.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Newspapers make tons of money off Black Friday advertising. So somebody has to work Thanksgiving to put the paper out. But maybe you don't like the capitalist organization that pays you and allows for you to take most, if not all, holidays off.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Fuck this guy. /missedfivethanksgivingsandchristmases

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That has nothing to do with the idiocy of turning Black Friday into Black Thursday.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Wow. A lot less sympathy than I would have expected.

Working Thanksgiving or Christmas completely fucking sucks, and it's sad that commerce can't take a day off so people can have some extra time with their families.

I know, I know, it's not my money the business would be losing by not staying open, but I still feel bad for the people who have to work it.

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

The stores are only doing what the consumers want. These people show up on Thanksgiving night to line up and camp out in the parking lots. Since the people are there waiting to buy, then I figure the stores are saying why don't we just go ahead and open up early. In addition, each store feels the need to one-up the other. One hour earlier than the other. Then the other store opens up an hour earlier the next year. It is a vicious cycle, but it's being fueled by the consumers seemingly demanding it.

Draft saved Draft deleted