1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Target employee whines about working on Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Nov 15, 2011.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

An employee at Target has started a petition to protest the fact the store is opening at midnight Black Friday.

I can't imagine he'll get too much sympathy here, where most of us work odd hours and frequent holidays.

I found this quote particularly amusing: "Employees like myself will have to leave for work right in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner," Hardwick said in a statement. "We don't mind hard work, but cutting into our holidays is a step too far."

I imagine most Target workers live within 30 minutes of their store, so even if they start work at 11, that's leaving home around 10:30 p.m., which isn't in the middle of anyone's dinner.

http://www.startribune.com/business/133803318.html

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Yeah, I saw this story on the local news today and had a hard time mustering up too much sympathy. I've worked crazy hours in restaurants on every holiday imaginable. You know this shit is going to come up when you elect to work in a service industry. And, again, as MTM mentioned, who's eating Thanksgiving dinner at midnight?

Other than the Vampires over at Penn State.

3. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Thanksgiving was one of the best days to work last year for me. I worked four flights in an eight-hour shift and loaded maybe 80 bags all day.

The day after was much the same.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He's got to get in some sleep before the all-nighter. So depending on if his family does Thanksgiving lunch or dinner, it could cut into his family time.

But, hey, we can't let Thanksgiving intrude on Black Friday. Buy, buy, buy, spend, spend, spend.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He should take it up with the government overlords forcing him to work at Target.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

We work holidays because we chose a 24/7 profession.

I hate that stores open on Thanksgiving now. I wish the Tea Party would make themselves useful and protest the hell out of this. There is nothing that MUST be bought at 11 p.m. on Thursday that can't be bought at 7 a.m. on Friday. Nothing.

Stores opening on Thanksgiving are un-American.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Maybe you can pitch the idea that there shouldn't be a Friday paper so all the deskers have Thanksgiving off. They have families, too.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I have this Thanksgiving off. I believe it's the second time in 20+ years in the TV business.

My heart does not bleed for the Target workers.

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

This is the nature of retail around the holidays, and the new hours should come as no surprise to the Target employee. As LTL stated, no one is forcing him to work in that industry.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Apples and bowling balls.

Retailers are constantly pushing the Black Friday sales earlier and earlier. Toys R Us opens at 9 p.m. on Thanksgiving day. In a few years, retailers will just blow off Thanksgiving completely in favor of Black Thursday sales.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Story says Targets in Denver are open 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thanksgiving, and if it works there they'll take it nationwide next year.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

If I started an online public petition against my employer protesting some policy regarding my own work requirements, I don't think I would have to worry about working on Thanksgiving.

Draft saved Draft deleted