1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tantrum of the season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportshack06, Jun 2, 2007.

1. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

With the baseball season at the 1/3rd mark, the Mississippi Braves (AA) manager appears to be the clubhouse leader in the Tantrum of the Year award.

Perhaps this was covered in Bobby Cox's coaching clinic

http://www.wdef.com/node/5567

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Extra points for the "grenade" toss with the rosin bag..

3. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Covering up home plate and drawing a bigger home plate was absolutely brilliant. Apparently blue had a pretty liberal strike zone that night.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

At one point I thought he was going to do Lloyd McClendon one better by hauling two bases off with him. The video was edited, so we don't know where they ended up.

Funnier than the grenade toss was his crawling up to the bag behind the mound.

5. When something like that happens, at what point does the manager realize he's not that angry any more but he is going to continue the show? I mean, he's tossed anyway. He might as well give people their money's worth, right?

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Get the park's PA man a job in the bigs. Playing Al Green in the background during the tantrum was a great call. :D

7. markvid

markvid Guest

The games in his suspension might match his jersey number (30).

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

How close did his hands get to the plate ump's face? I'm surprised blue stayed calm throughout the tirade.

That being said, you have to give originality points for the infantry crawl and bean-bag grenade toss. Considering that managerial tantrums have grown as stale as slam dunks, any originality should be considered refreshing.

9. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Thought this thread was gonna be about Pinella today.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

That was absurd.

I'm sorry, it was funny and all, but showing up an umpire like that -- I just don't see how that helps your team's cause in the long run.

11. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

If anyone was more inappropriately named than Mr. Wellman, I don't know who.

12. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

The bean bag toss was perfect ... not too long, not too fat, didn't hit the ump, just landed on his feet and left a cloud of power on his shoes.

Draft saved Draft deleted