1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tank Johnson columns

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by suburbanite, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Can someone refresh my memory on that one? Didn't Bruce basically say that she must not have really believed in God or else God would have saved her because Bruce said a prayer while he was getting in a car accident and survived? Something like that?

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Pringle, I think it had something to do with the girl's having found spirituality after being into some bad schtuff, that she was a Johnny-come-lately Christian. Maybe I'm wrong. But whatever it was, Reilly came off like as much an ass as Bruce.

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I found the end of Reilly's column:

"Do you ever thinkg about Derrick Thomas and say 'that could be me?'"

"Oh, no, not at all," Bruce says.

"Why not?" I ask.

"Because as I was flipping I threw my hands off the wheel and called Jesus' name."

"Does that mean God doesn't love Derrick Thomas?" I ask.

"Oh, no," Bruce says. "I don't know what Derrick said as his car was flipping."

"What about Payne Stewart? He was a Christian man. Does that mean that God didn't love Payne Stewart?"

"I have no idea what Payne Steward said in that plane that day."

"Well, are you saying if Payne Stewart had invoked the name of Jesus Christ, he'd be alive today?"

"Oh definitely."

"What about the Columbine High student who was asked by one of the killers if she believed in God? She said yes, and he blew her away. How can that be?"

"You don't know what she said, do you?"

"There were witnesses."

"But you weren't there, right?"

Two men. Pray for them both.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Sorry, but that was one of Reilly's better columns, and Bruce was the one coming off looking like a moron, not RR.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

hondo, baby, we disagree on that one. Reilly came off as a sermonizing little pissant.

6. donaugust

donaugust Member

Nobody has mentioned Ricky Manning Jr., eh?

Draft saved Draft deleted