1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampa Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by reformedhack, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yes, she did. She's still getting pilloried for it with justification. That's what happens when you say crap like "You go girl."

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

You know, I actually tried to delete this thread earlier today. When I created it earlier this week, it was intended to document yet more sad news of yet more layoffs at what once was a very strong, very proud newspaper. But it has been hijacked in at least two different directions, attracting the attention of at least one knuckle-dragging mouth-breather, and the original purpose has been lost.

Moderators, please lock this thread or delete it at your discretion.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Won't delete it. But the threadjacks stop here.

Whenever you can share the layoffs, reformedhack, let us know. I fear I might know them both. Sigh.

4. reformedhack

Thanks, playthrough.

Since it was the topic of conversation this week at Tom McEwen's funeral services, I suppose it's public knowledge now. The two Sports layoffs were motorsports/baseball/GA guy Tony Fabrizio and online sports producer Scott Butherus. I know Tony only by (good) reputation -- he joined the Trib after I left -- but I briefly chatted with Scott during the reception and was left with a good impression. It wouldn't surprise me to hear about both of them getting snapped up soon ... smart organizations should act quickly.

I've said it before in many different ways: Today's Tampa Tribune (and TBO.com by extension) has talented people being asked to do impossible work under impossible conditions created largely by questionable decisions by its leaders.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Hope they land on their feet soon. Hack, your last sentence is spot on and can apply at probably every newspaper chain.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Known Tony a while - good dude, good at what he does. Unreal. How many are left in sports and how many were there at the peak?

7. Prospero

Prospero Member

Moddy -- there were 50-plus on staff in the early to mid '90s under SE Paul Smith. Might be 30 now. Might be fewer.

I echo your thoughts on Fabrizio. His misfortune was to be in a GA pro sports position there. Those aren't exactly secure jobs anymore, are they? (Then again, what is?)

8. reformedhack

Moddy,

Peak: 63 circa 1991 under Paul C. Smith. We were told it was the largest sports staff in the country, or at least Florida.

Today: 21, I am told, under, well, I don't believe there actually is a sports editor.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That's a HUGE drop, though I can't see it as the largest sports staff in the country. Boston, DC, LA among others had to have more.

The 21 includes writing and desk staff?

10. reformedhack

So I am told, yes. Although it should be mentioned that some of the deskwork is parceled to Richmond in that ridiculous editing scheme -- I mean forward-thinking Consolidated Editing System -- that was foisted upon everyone.

I always suspected that some places like New York, Los Angeles, and even Dallas, had more bodies. But that was the information we were reliably told by others outside the company but in the industry, and by God if it didn't give us good juice from time to time.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

T-Fab is a good man. He is my prevailing memory of the Daytona 500s I covered, him always thinking forward for the MG "family" to make sure we were doing different stories to allow for story-sharing. He was always very sweet, and very funny. I wrote him on facebook when I heard, and he was gracious as always.

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Worked with Tony many many years ago in one of my stints in Jax, Fla. Good guy and deserves better than this.

Draft saved Draft deleted