1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampa Tribune to cut 70 jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Apr 10, 2007.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Not much detail here, but the basics:

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/newswire/story/the-tampa-tribune-announces-layoffs/

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The next step after buyouts has arrived: Layoffs. Oh, boy.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Man, I thought people at Media General were pretty safe from layoffs. I mean they might not ever fill jobs when they come open, but I never got the feeling that people already there were in much danger.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm depressed.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

shit!

6. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Any indication anywhere how many of the 70 are in the newsroom?

7. 70 out of 1,335 is not a crisis.

8. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Tell that to the 70 people who lost their jobs today.

(And I understand your general point but that's still a pretty dick move to say that the day 70 people get the pink slip)

9. Mighty_Wingman

Still, he is right. And odds are, the vast majority of the 70 will be outside of editorial.

Doesn't mean it doesn't suck for the folks who lose their jobs. But advertising staffers or newspaper carriers or mailroom employees aren't in quite the same employment situation as folks in editorial departments.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Updated story (click same link in first post of thread) said fewer than 10 of 280 newsroom jobs will be cut.

They're doing what my local metro did a few months ago, folding the Friday leisure section into the Weekend section. It also folded the Sunday broadsheet Travel and Arts sections, among other pages, into a crappy tabloid "(Cityname) Sunday" section. It's an overstuffed mess that I fail to see as a better product, yet I can see where it saves manpower. There's none of those 40-inch features that someone might actually want to read on a Sunday morning.

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Usually, they're in a worse employment situation. shit! some sympathy please.

12. Mighty_Wingman

I don't know about that. If your job description is business-to-business sales, there's a good-sized market for that, of which newspapers are a small part.

If your job description is newspaper carrying or inserting, there's a good-sized market for unskilled labor too.

Editorial folks and pressmen have pretty unique skills...I'm thinking there's a smaller market for their skills.

Draft saved Draft deleted