1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampa Tribune gives up on competing in St. Petersburg

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, May 14, 2009.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Long overdue, probably, but Media General's money vacuum finally announces the end of daily home delivery on the Pinellas County side of the bay.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/article1000883.ece

2. Eh, no biggie and no shocker. There was only 11,000 in Pinellas anyway. What the article fails to mention is the fact the Times has only about 11,000 in Hillsborough County. And the numbers are steeped for the Times in the fact they circulate in Pasco and Hernando Counties to the north.

3. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

They also circulate in Highlands County (Sebring) as well.

4. reformedhack

reformedhack Active Member

Um, no. There isn't a Times rack within 75 miles of Sebring.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If the Trib is still publishing in December I'll be stunned. The Times will either buy it and fold it or it will fold on its own.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Times still hasn't made a deeper cut into Hillsborough?

7. reformedhack

The former ain't going to happen. The latter? Well, I don't think I'd take the "over" on that bet.

8. reformedhack

As of January, the Times claimed Hillsborough County circulation of 37,528 daily, 42,561 on Sunday. In the latest ABC report, the Times showed growth in Hillsborough and central Pasco counties -- the heart of the Tribune's circulation area.

UPDATE: A story posted tonight cites specifics of the latest ABC audit. The Times' Hillsborough circulation is 41,135 daily and 65,099 on Sunday.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I can only speak for my neighborhood in far east Hillsborough, but there are at least as many copies of the Times in driveways on my morning walk as there are Tribunes, and the one-paper driveways are almost exclusively the Times. I think the Times does better in Hillsborough than most people think.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The St. Petersburg Times may be my only hope to stay in the newspaper industry. Wish I was kidding.

http://www.sptimes.ru/

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I thought that was the case. Tampa was a tough market for the Times to crack when the Trib was humming, but it's not a fair fight anymore.

12. reformedhack

One other factoid, from an updated story on the Trib's website (tbo.com):

In Pinellas County, the Tribune has only 5,511 home delivery subscribers Mon-Sat, 6,321 on Sunday. Single copy sales are 2,124 Mon-Sat, 8,019 on Sunday.

Doing the math, that's 7,635 daily and 14,340 on Sunday.

Draft saved Draft deleted