1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampa Trib apparently makes deal with Tallahassee paper for FSU coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by reformedhack, Jul 25, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Can't wait for that showdown when Tampa asks for a specific story and Tally assigns it with no extra bucks for the writer...

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This is SOP for Media General. At another paper, I know they contract stories from another chain and pay them what I believe is a flat fee.

The tradeoff is you get what the writer was planning to get. Unless AP gets the breaking story, MG will be SOL. Hope that helps clarify matters, Slappy.

And Budcrew, kudos for the passion behind your statement. But, simply put, this is nothing new for Media General. I had suspected this was going to be the arrangement since the hamhanded manner in which they handled their, um, employee situation (another bad, bad corporate term?).

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And when the writer refuses? Laid off/fired?

4. Sam Mills 51

Usually, in these arrangements, you take whatever is budgeted for the Tallahassee section by the Florida State writer. I seriously doubt Tampa will have any rights to strongarm the writer into exclusives, breaking stories and the like.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It does, but as with all corporate decisions, it's bullshit.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

My experience was that there were two levels of negotiations. There's the one between executives, and as long as the check clears and the stories arrive, they don't care. Then there's the one each night between whoever runs each paper's desk that night -- sometimes it's cool, sometimes people go out of their way to dick the other paper. Major enterprise is off limits, but breaking news is usually expected whether it was budgeted or not. Whether there's a heads-up to expect it, though, depends on how the two desks relate to each other. I used to work with someone who'd say, "If they call again, I'll make them wait another half-hour." He was just being a jerk.

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Thanks, Sam... I know the whole business thing, but it just really blows.

8. Sam Mills 51

Bud and Slappy, it IS B.S. Serious B.S. But all of our screaming isn't going to make these publications pay for a good writer to break their own stories. And I'll bet big money Media General isn't the only bunch paying dimes on the dollars for these arrangements.

Frank, as usual, is correct. I was the one having to call the other desk with whom my then-paper had the arrangement. The SE was a complete prick, and I avoided him with more passion than I avoid Ticketmaster. One or two of the desk guys could not have been nicer, would get stuff to us ASAP and the night moved along just fine. In summary, it was major hit-or-miss depending on the deskers.

9. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

including expenses and benefits, I would guess significantly higher than $80,000

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

From a financial standpoint, makes sense. From a pride standpoint, it's a tiny step ahead of taking wire copy and hoping the readers don't notice the difference.

11. Sam Mills 51

The sad part is most of the readers won't notice the difference. At least, until something breaking doesn't make it into their editions.

The group taking the stories will simply absorb the bullets and move on.

12. I'm sorry, but as an ex-Tribuneite this is ABSURD!!! I can't beleve that they would do that and let an APSE award winner like Scott go. I know, I know this is a corporation thinking this is the best coverage they can get, with or without Scott, but this is a HUMAN BEING we are talking about. STUPID pure and simple.

Scott is a true professional and to do this is like sand kicked in the face, or worse sand poured into the butt.

I'm so glad I was let go from those cretins. This truly disgusts me.

Keep in mind, there is no offense to those at the Tally Dem, but to do this is numbing. I'm just sticking up for Scott. Certainly, we all agree that maybe call Scott back from Tally and find a spot for him in Tampa, but at NG, err MG, this is not what they do.

My same sentiments go for whatever they have planned for Carter G's position.

Draft saved Draft deleted