1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampa travel advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jun 13, 2012.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My brother has developmental disabilities and has worked at Publix for 17 years. They take spectacular care of him. Earlier in his career there, between the quarterly inventory bonuses and tons of paid vacation and overtime and the private stock plan ... I really asked myself what the hell I was doing in newspapers.

As for the shopping experience, Publix is never the cheapest but it's impeccably clean, bright, with great employees. The Publix-brand stuff is also great in nearly every aisle.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm apparently the only person alive who doesn't get Publix.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What don't you get about it?

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Wegman's is better, and I will not accept any argument to the contrary.

5. imjustagirl

I don't know. I just don't "get it." It's a big store with a shit-ton of stuff I don't use. Why pay more?

6. JackReacher

That's a very, very close call for me. I'd probably go Wegman's right now since I'm way more familiar with it. But I do remember getting pumped that a Publix was being built 30 minutes away from where I used to live in Alabama. Then I moved.

7. JackReacher

Stuff you don't use? Granted, I haven't been in a while, but I remember it having everything other grocery stores have in terms of regular groceries. It's the deli and all the extras that set it apart. Like Wegman's.

I can't speak on the prices there since I haven't been in a while. But yeah, Wegman's is expensive, too, on certain things. Sometimes, we just go for dinner, though, and it's not all that bad. Good sushi. Good hot bar stuff. Good salad bar. Good every-damn-thing.

8. imjustagirl

And this is where it stands. Who the fuck goes to a grocery store for sushi, or a hot bar, or a salad bar? If you can't find a better sandwich than the piece of shit I ate from Publix (three times too much bread, 1/3 the meat it should have had, and a bitch behind the counter) in your town, then your town sucks. It's a goddamned sub sandwich. They make them everywhere, and generally better.

9. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Publix is fine, but I don't think it is really superior to Kroger and about the same as HEB or Harris Teeter.

10. JackReacher

I'm not saying I go there nightly. Or weekly. But yeah, every once in a while, we grab dinner at Wegman's. If I want indian food, I can get cheaper indian food there than I can at the indian joint we like. And the sushi is solid. And the sandwiches at Wegman's are solid. Sorry you didn't like yours at Publix.

So I'd say, yeah, there's a good chance you're the only person on the planet who doesn't get Publix.

11. imjustagirl

Are we talking Wegman's or Publix? Because you keep talking about Wegman's, which I've never been to and was not discussing.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

RIP in peace, Ukrop's.

(I know they still make the rolls and other hot food. I care not. It's Martin's. If I can walk in on a Sunday and buy a six-pack, it's not Ukrop's)

Draft saved Draft deleted