1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampa travel advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jun 13, 2012.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Going to Tampa for a week next month. What the hell is there to do in Tampa?

We're staying with family and will have a car, so we can drive around and explore. We're spending one night away in Clearwater at the Hyatt Regency on the beach. We MIGHT get to a Rays game. Other than that, I had planned on spending most of my time by the pool and on the boat at the house we're staying at.

I don't know much at all about the actual city of Tampa. What's good?

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Mons Venus.

3. JackReacher

Besides that. That's a given.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Noted travel agent Craig Finn of The Hold Steady seems to have something against Ybor City. I'd stay away.

5. JackReacher

Honestly, after the pool time, boat time, jetski time and time in Clearwater, there's not going to be a lot of time for me to explore the city. Unless there's something I absolutely need to see, or if there's a restaurant or bar I should definitely try.

Also, we may be stopping in Daytona on the way down, and I'll probably have a few hours to waste. Anything good there?

Probably stopping in Savannah on the way back. Kinda pumped about that.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Now Savannah is a ton of fun, especially down along the river. Lots of great bars and seafood joints. I've only been once, then of course, got zapped back into reality when the team I cover played at Savannah State, which isn't exactly in the best part of town.

7. JackReacher

Good thing I'll be traveling with two women who don't like seafood. Oh well, they'll either find something else on the menu they like or leave me there and go somewhere else. :)

We're obviously driving down and back. Didn't realize how difficult (not to mention expensive) it is to rent a Jeep or other convertable. Just insane. Looks like it'll be the Mazda 3.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Get a sandwich at Publix.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ryan, due to the near-certainty of the occasional tropical downpour, you do not want a convertible when visiting Florida. I have learned this the hard way.

10. JackReacher

Mainly for the drive down and back. Either way, eff that. Too expensive.

And Mizzou...I've been to a Publix, both when I lived in Alabama and when I was in Miami a few years ago. So solid. And I'm sure we'll go to one for grilling supplies while I'm down there. Hell, even the canolis they make are good.

11. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Bern's Steakhouse. Take out a loan if necessary.

12. JackReacher

Given the fact that I'd need to take out a loan, I'll probably just buy a steak at Publix and grill it at the house. I think I have heard of that place, though. That good, huh?

Draft saved Draft deleted