1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampa/St. Pete hotel question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KP, Apr 17, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Big fan of the wings at Ferg's, across the parking lots from the ballpark.

Try the beach resorts around St. Pete Beach and Treasure Island...snowbirds should be close to all gone by now.

2. KP

KP Active Member

Treasure Bay Hotel and Marina anyone know anything about it?

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Stay on Dale Mabry. Near Mons Venus and 2001.

4. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Don't know much about it other than I think it's a little bit further away from downtown than the one I mentioned but I don't think it's much further. I just went to their site and it looks very nice and actually it's pulling up lower rates than the Sunspree by anywhere from $30-50 a night so you might have hit on something.

Well, I just played around on Google and MapQuest and they're showing it to be a 6.1-mile drive to the Trop from Sunspree and an 8.0-mile drive from Treasure Bay, so it's close enough in distance to definitely go with the lower rate IMO.

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Never heard of it, but looks like a good location. Overlooking the bay, and if it's on Gulf Blvd., it's right across the street from the beach. It's pretty easy to get to the Trop from Treasure Island, and it's a much more tourist-friendly area than where the Sunspree is. You'll also be minutes from John's Pass Village, which is a good little shopping area with some decent seafood restaurants and a couple of bars.

6. T&C

T&C Member

You are looking at 25-30 minutes from Treasure Island to the Trop but anywhere on Gulf Blvd from Madiera Beach south should work. Lots of places to eat, but you might want to try the Green Iguana, which is on the road from the Madiera Beach bridge to downtown St. Pete. It was recommended to me when I was in St. Pete during spring training; good food at a decent price plus live music. Ferg's next to the Trop is a fun spot before games; at least it was before the World Series. If you are a reader, check out Haslam's New and Used Books, a great store on Central Ave. not far from the ballpark.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Stay in St Pete - Hilton Bay Harbor is a great hotel - you should get in now at $120 a night - 5 minutes from Park .

St Pete is a great little city.

8. KP

KP Active Member

Re: Tampa/St. Pete hotel question- UPDATE

So I ended up at the Crystal Palms on Gulf Blvd in Treasure Island. will report back on how that goes.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sounds like it should be fine. I

f you ever have another chance I highly recommend The Vinoy in St. Pete, although it can be pricey. It's a classic old property with a beautiful front porch (and a great selection of cigars to enjoy there). Very civilized.

My favorite restaurant in St. Pete is Pacific Wave, on 2nd St. South. Attracts a fun, upscale crowd. Excellent food and nicely decorated.

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

11. KP

KP Active Member

You on the right website?

I almost dropped the extra money to stay here because it was a place I'd heard of with the ghosts stories and that a lot of teams use it or have used it.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The El Cap is one of the few things I miss about living in St. Petersburg.

Dive bar, great burgers, and the MLB package. No one else rooted for the Yankees, but they'd always put them on for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted