1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampa/St. Pete hotel question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KP, Apr 17, 2009.

1. KP

KP Active Member

So I am heading down to the lovely Trop in a couple of weeks. Trying to figure out whether I should stay in Tampa or St. Pete. I will have a car with me. Any suggestions appreciated.

Restaurant recommendations always accepted.

Thanks.

2. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

St. Pete. Not even a question. Tampa's too far away if you ask the fans who can't be bothered to drive over for the games.

3. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

And you'll be closer to the beaches. If you can afford to stay on St. Pete Beach, do it. It's very easy to get to the Trop from there. And there are some smaller family owned hotels that might be on the cheaper side.

4. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

I was quite pleased with the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort just off the Skyway Bridge. It's about a 5-minute drive from the Trop and historic downtown St. Pete with a nice private beach on the bay.

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

That's a good spot, A_K. Right near the Bayway out to the beaches too. As for restaurants, I'll have to think on it.

6. KP

KP Active Member

Thanks for the help so far.

7. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

If you want a great burger, go to El Cap (a great place for baseball lovers) or The Chattaway (within a couple miles of the Trop).

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I love the Trop. Definitely stay in St. Pete. You'll be close to the stadium, and getting around the town is easy. Tampa's not only farther away, but it's dirtier and more crowded.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Can't help with hotel suggestions, but I'd definitely stay in St. Pete if the Trop is one of your primary destinations.

The drive over the bridge from Tampa is a long one, and the traffic bottles up pretty bad if there's a big crowd showing up.

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

El Cap is greatness.

Like it's been said, stay in St. Pete. It's nicer, much less crowded, and and you can find some bargain prices for hotels.

11. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Thanks Dirty. I stayed there last year for the Sports Journalism Summit at Poynter and got a real good rate.

As for places to eat, there's still a few good spots at Bayfront I think and also around The Pier.

12. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

El Cap has corn dog nuggets too!

Draft saved Draft deleted