1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampa reaction: Not good

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

On Monday, the Trib launched its redesigned, 28-page newspaper - everything in one section, sports inside, no jumps except for 1A. The public went berserk. By Thursday, the plan was scuttled and a 2-section paper was launched on Friday - with sports on the section 2 front.

Will they ever learn what sports means to a newspaper?

Here are some details in a blog.

http://nbergus.com/2008/10/readers-dont-want-no-single-section-papers/

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

As long as you are lovely and talented, you can get away with anything...

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

My heart's all a-Twitter.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Right now, the Tampa paper is, in my opinion, the worst major-market newspaper in the country.

That's not a reflection on the sports staff, which has several outstanding reporters, but the paper as a whole is just awful.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Papers do surveys on readership by section. And if you glanced at the section once in a month or so, it counts. So Sports will generally be about 50-60 percent at most places and Features and Metro might be 80-90 percent.

What skews it is that 40-50 percent of the readers just don't care about sports and won't look at the section, but most folks will at least read the comics or look at the obits or check movie listings even if they don't read a story in those sections.

But the people that read sports often devour it so the data is really screwed.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's saying something -- Mr. Jacksonville Hater!

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I also think a single-section paper renders impossible how many people actually read the paper — sitting at the breakfast table with his/her spouse. With a single section, there's no "hand me the sports section, you can have the front" dynamic.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I believe that too, Steak. It also works against how papers try to sell advertising not based on circulation numbers but the number of "users", hoping that one copy is seen by three or four sets of eyes. Pretty tough with a one-section fishwrap.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, Jacksonville hasn't had any layoffs. My hatred of Gene Frenette will never die, but as I've said on numerous other threads, the last few times I've picked up the T-U, I've been impressed.

I'm guessing the Tampa paper folds within five years. I love Fennelly and Marc Lancaster and both of their Bucs writers, but this paper is a rag compared to what it was just a few years ago.

It's really sad.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly on sports. And pretty idiotic to launch a complete 28-page paper on the day after the Buccaneers play AND the Rays clinch against the White Sox. Probably should have been 28 pages in sports alone.

11. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

How's this for a scary line from the EE/VP:

"The Tribune has always been a strong sports paper, and that is a distinction for us. But the changes we’ve been making for the last year have tipped sports out of balance with the rest of the newspaper. While sports remains important, in a world where the economy is imploding and a presidential election is upon us, we’ve overemphasized that part of our content."

That sounds like management speak for "sports' resources are out of balance with the realities of our situation, so they should have less." Scary thought.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hasn't Oklahoma City held the banner of worst big-market paper in America? Funny that the bottom dwellers are "reinventing" themselves so thoroughly.

Draft saved Draft deleted