1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampa drops a really big shoe...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you listen to waaay too many freak mothers.

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Because your brother is smarter than a lot of the dumbasses that run newspapers.

3. The Granny

The Granny Guest

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Then you would have two parents write. One for each team. Citizen journalism and all that new-age stuff.

The way papers are cutting jobs, some day it wouldn't surprise me to see a news organization try to use a mostly volunteer staff. Sad, I know.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Taken a look at the paycheck lately and divided by the hours logged? Lots of us are "mostly volunteer" staffers.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Totally agree. But you know that papers would love to cut even more. Those CEOs have got to have their bonuses.

7. donnie23

donnie23 Member

Last word on the street I heard from down there confirms the always-reliable Moddy pipeline in this regard: management and writers are the targets. I've heard desk and photo are going to come out of this (relatively) unscathed. And when you have a metro desk in a city the size of Tampa operating with under 10 reporters like it is now, I'm wondering how exactly bone can be sliced any deeper and still put out a fish wrap every day ...

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've heard from pretty reliable sources that the number they're targeting is between 25-30...

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A little higher than that, a Pipeline memo says. Somewhere between 30-50.

Draft saved Draft deleted