1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampa cutting AGAIN??

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Note the question marks. This is not a Pipeline report. This is a question. I hear rumblings that this is/may be happening, from people in position to know. But no one is quite sure.
    Lord how I'd love for this to be wrong. If you know something, post it here or PM me.
    I really hope this is not true.

2. First Inning

First Inning Guest

Definitely true. Friend of mine there said last month it was supposed to be mostly management. Here's a link from the Times' News Feed blog.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/media/2008/11/columnist-dan-r.html

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If it's management, I hope they start at the very top.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yep. I just got a PM that said a DME is out. Sports desk is probably going to have 4-5 people working early in the week, which is nowhere near enough for a paper that size.
    Jee-zus.

5. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

They've got to be bled out by now, no?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow. I'd like to see the job descriptions of what those 4-5 people would be doing that night. Even if it's a 6-8 page section, that's just insane.

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

4-5 people on a sports desk on a Monday night?

That is probably very, very common these days at what used to be called "big papers."

8. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I'm not at liberty to name other names at the moment beyond columnist Daniel Ruth, whose status already has been reported, but at least two others have been let go today -- a deputy managing editor who's been there 20+ years and a general assignment/features reporter who's been there 35+.

Look for the gray hair in the newsroom, and then look for the machete to follow. Just sayin'.

Dan's a good guy, despite his gruff in-print persona ... was one of the few intriguing things remaining in the paper.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And I think of nights I laid out and designed 12 pages flying solo for a Sunday paper...

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. That many people early in the week doesn't seem that terrible. Even if you have 10 pages, 2-3 designers, 2-3 copy editors...bingo.

Either way, it really effin blows if they're gonna cut more. Just insane.

11. derwood

derwood Active Member

How big?

12. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

I'd love to have 5 people working on a 10 page section at our paper. From what I've seen and heard, that's almost a luxury. And space is going to continue getting tight everywhere, which equals even fewer people, unfortunately.

Draft saved Draft deleted