1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampa Bay Times seeks college sports reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by rleblanc, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Florida_Man

Florida_Man Member

I think he means the Tampa Tribune.

2. changingtimes

changingtimes New Member

You can break stories without living on campus, it just takes a special mindset and work ethic and contact development. Look what Matt Baker did at the Tampa Bay Times. He's owned the Jameis Winston rape allegation stories and didn't do that from Tally. The cost benefit isn't there anymore for papers that are struggling financially ... which is all of them. It's really only made sense when football AND basketball were huge at a school *(read Florida). Then it's a 12-month beat.

3. Ah, I guess that's what I get for reading threads from back to front.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yes, I was referring to the Tribune. TBT is still St. Pete to me.

5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

That was a bit of a special situation because he knew family members of the accuser. It wasn't so much a mindset or work ethic as much as it was dumb luck. Although Matt is a hard working writer.

6. I'm with you. I still call it the St. Pete Times. They'll never beat that out of me.

7. CA91

CA91 New Member

Any updates on this listing?

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

The St. Pete Times still costs money, right? When I went to Tampa, the Tampa Bay Times was free in the hotel and I was one of maybe four people who took a copy from the front desk each day.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Que? The St. Pete Times no longer exists. And the TB Times costs money in Tampa, though I think it is half the price it is in St. Pete. Same goes for the Trib depending on which side of the bay you're on.

10. cjericho

Ahh. Stayed in Clearwater and it was free there and plenty of copies were available. Is it free in smaller towns also, just for sale in Tampa? I did pay for the Sunday Tribune though.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

No. It's $1 each day throughout Pinellas County (which includes Clearwater, Dunedin and Tarpon Springs, among other cities) and $.50 in Hillsborough. They must have some bulk deals with the hotels that give it away. Not sure how that works.

12. cjericho

Found one of the copies. Bottom of front page has' tampa bay's free daily newspaper. an editionof the tampa bay times.' the logo at the top is 'tbt' with tampabay.com underneath. guess maybe it's not the entire edition of the one for sale. it was 35 pages.

Draft saved Draft deleted