1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampa Bay Times outdoors writer Terry Tomalin dies

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by reformedhack, May 19, 2016.

1. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Terry Tomalin, the Tampa Bay Times' larger-than-life outdoors editor who took readers on adventures across Florida, died Thursday after suffering a heart attack. He was 55. Mr. Tomalin had been at the North Shore pool in St. Petersburg with his 14-year-old son Kai; the two were taking a life guarding class there together. He collapsed and never regained consciousness, his family said.

Times outdoors editor Terry Tomalin dies after heart attack

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This sucks so hard. Didn't know him well, hadn't seen him in years. We stayed in touch via Facebook. He'd only recently posted a picture of himself with his son, I believe the son was getting his Eagle Scout?

One of Terry's siblings is Susan Sarandon

Fifty fucking five. Jesus.

3. vicd

vicd Active Member

Just last week my Mom went out on the Appalachian Trail. She asked me if Terry would answer some camping/hiking questions for her. Terry, of course, was more than happy to answer her many emails. He was a real good guy. When I was a clerk in the Times Sports Dept. he always said hello and thanked us when we helped him with tide charts or helping him hunt down a fishing captain who didn't turn in his "Captain's Corner".
    I will always remember his most important hiking tip: Splurge on socks. It's better to have two $25 pairs of socks than 5 pairs of cheap socks.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Stunning news. Never dealt with him much in my brief time there but have been reading his stuff for years. Including a couple of things he did this week.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That's terrible, not least for the son, seeing his father die in front of him like that. Fucking traumatizing.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Can't even imagine. Had enough trouble when my dad died when I was 14. And he had been sick for several years.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Terry was an absolute gem. My last memory of him was a few years ago where a bunch of us were drinking after work and talking about Sarandon's movies. Terry refused to see any movie in which his sister was naked. Someone then mentioned Thelma & Louise, and he said something like "hell no, she died!"

I worked with him at the Times, as did my wife, and after her internship there she was hired full-time but sent to the northernmost bureau. Most coworkers offered more condolences than congrats, but Terry told her instead to enjoy the rural life and take advantage of the outdoors opportunities. That really stuck with her.

HanSenSE, CD Boogie and BDC99 like this.
  10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

It appears he was in great health. Anybody know? Perhaps just bad genes, family history? Horrible to lose someone so obviously passionate and caring. RIP.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Hell of a tribute column. Thanks for posting.

BDC99 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted